Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Best Studio Headphone (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=243569)

mbox2issue 04-08-2009 05:14 PM

The Best Studio Headphone

Hello again,

I am planning to buy a studio headphone for recording so that I won't bother the people in the house when they are at home. I have no clue which is the best for decent price like under $200. Old model prefer though. I've heard someone said that small headphones are good for recording, is it correct? Could someone with headphone experience give me some advices please? Thanks in advance.

Abyssiumatic 04-08-2009 05:20 PM

Re: The Best Studio Headphone Question

I warmly recommend akg k518dj . Theyre way below 200 dollars, but good ones.
I originally bought them for portable player use, but i tried mixing with them with great results, no big difference between headphones and speakers when i compared how i wanted things. So...theres one budget headphones recommendation :)

albee1952 04-08-2009 06:43 PM

Re: The Best Studio Headphone

I don't think you can fairly say any set of phones is best. I use Sony MDR-V600's and like them for several reasons. 1-they go over the ear instead of on top so they are comfy, and they seal well which keeps the phones sound in and the outside noise out. They can get plenty loud with most any headphone amp. They come with a mini plug and a threaded adapter. They are not flat(and most headphones aren't so I would never mix on these or any phones). And they are under 100 bucks(actually about $75 from ebay vendors, brand new in the box).

Abyssiumatic 04-08-2009 06:50 PM

of course, mixing isnt recommended with headphones at all, but sometimes you got to make some compromises. AKG and Sony would be good candidates.

tha]-[acksaw 04-08-2009 07:23 PM

I'm sure lots of it is prefrence. Like others have said, I would never mix in headphones, so I don't really worrie about flat freq respons. I maily want something that has nice big lows and clear highs with nothing extra added to the mid range.

I'm using the AudioTechinca ATH-M40fs. They sound great when monitoring a recording through them. What I enjoy most is that the low end isn't lost. I can play along to a full drum kit and acoustic guitar, and still hear nice definition in a bass guitar that I'm playing. I also own a pair of Sony phones, and the bass is null plus they have a very exagerated upper midrange, which drives me nutz!

I think i paid about $75 for the M40fs. I really enjoy them!

lwilliam 04-08-2009 07:57 PM

I'll add a vote for Sony mdr-7506s. They're an industry standard. $99 most places.

They're efficient (loud!) and will let you hear details that don't come out in your speakers. Like everyone else says, don't mix on headphones, just check for problems with them.

paulreed 04-09-2009 06:25 AM

Sennheiser HD280........massive sound and keep it in and other sources out, and tough as hell, my clients throw them on the floor when they take them off, I ask them to be gentle but you know they don't always, you can sit on these and they won't break....all for $100.
I have 4 of them and use them for tracking.

I also use Ultrasone 650's for mixing and me in the control room, they're pricier but sound great.

mbox2issue 04-09-2009 06:35 PM

Thanks for the infor ... I read about the ATH headphone from other sources and the description sounds interesting for that price...

AudioTechinca ATH-M40fs($70) vs Ultrasone 650's ($299)

Very hard decision.... :( .

Which one is worth the money in terms of sound quality and the price? The Sony is $300, is the sound that great compared to ATH? Wish I could try them out before buying it....

mbox2issue 04-09-2009 07:11 PM

nvm, I just bought the used Ultrasone 650's for $185! Thanks again for the awesome suggestions.

albee1952 04-09-2009 07:21 PM

Agreed on the Ultrasones. Very nice but too much money. I also have the AtH's and found them to sound much more accurate(but softer) but the reason I don't recommend them is that on the pair I have, all the leather has literally disintegrated, falling off in flakes. To my ears, the Sony V600's sound very much like the 7506's and the Sennheiser 280's(but have better isolation than the 7506's). I stayed with the Sony's as I can buy them for $20 less a set than the Sennheisers(which I would also recommend).