Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Record an orchestra (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408268)

luca.cremona 01-30-2020 07:10 AM

Record an orchestra

Hi everyone,
I apologize in advance for the possibly stupid question.
I have to record an orchestra in a small recording studio, so I will record each section separately. Since I have to record 10 songs, and I'd like to use the same setup for the pro tools project (routing, plugins, etc.), my question is: should I use the same project and record all the songs one after the other or it wold be better to create a project for each song? If so, is there a way to, after processing the first song, apply the same parameters (routing, plugins, etc.) to the other projects?

Thanks

Luca

albee1952 01-30-2020 08:32 AM

Re: Record an orchestra

Either way works for an orchestral date. I would save after each and every take(something you may already do:D) and save a copy whenever time permits(to another drive).

If you decide to do a separate session for each piece, when the first one is done, Save As Template(uncheck the option to include media) and then do the rest based off the same template. The biggest decider in this is probably time. If someone(producer, conductor, etc) is a clock watcher, working in a single session will be faster(no time waiting for closing and opening sessions):o

luca.cremona 01-30-2020 08:41 AM

Albee1952, thank you.
In case I work on a single session, is there a way to "reset" the bars count at each marker? Assuming I set a marker at the beginning of each song, I'd like to have the bar count starting from 1 for each song.

Thank you

Luca

JFreak 01-30-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2552720)
If someone(producer, conductor, etc) is a clock watcher, working in a single session will be faster(no time waiting for closing and opening sessions)

Also if you need to transfer one song somewhere recording everything on one session is a big time waster ;)

My take on this would be having one "master session" with all audio; obviously in this case all in separate takes, but anyhow consider it as one big live gig. Just remember to backup the master session with all audio once everything is recorded.

One can always split songs later. No need to know everything you are going to do before you get started.

albee1952 01-30-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca.cremona (Post 2552722)
Albee1952, thank you.
In case I work on a single session, is there a way to "reset" the bars count at each marker? Assuming I set a marker at the beginning of each song, I'd like to have the bar count starting from 1 for each song.

Thank you

Luca

This won't be possible within a single session. Just drop markers so you can find starting points for each "piece". As JFreak said, you can split things out after the tracking is done(or refer to my first suggestion for using a Session Template and track each piece in its own session):o

JFreak 01-30-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2552786)
This won't be possible within a single session.

Actually it is, in case all of the material share the same tracks and all. Group everything, create playlists, start each song (take) from zero -- done.

docric 01-31-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2552789)
Actually it is, in case all of the material share the same tracks and all. Group everything, create playlists, start each song (take) from zero -- done.

Seems unlikely that each song would share the same tempo/meter, no?:-)

JFreak 01-31-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docric (Post 2552832)
Seems unlikely that each song would share the same tempo/meter, no?:-)

Orchestral music is rarely performed against constant tempo. It fluctuates, which means using seconds in main meter. I believe seconds are same length for each song, aren't they :cool:

docric 01-31-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

It fluctuates, which means using seconds in main meter. I believe seconds are same length for each song, aren't they
Touche' ! :D

Wasn't trying to be a smart-ass at all (I probably failed)... but OP did say this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca.cremona (Post 2552722)
... Assuming I set a marker at the beginning of each song, I'd like to have the bar count starting from 1 for each song.

Bar count in PT session- given the idea to "nest" each song in a PT playlist using matching tracks in the same "master" session- would be dependent on meter/tempo in the session wouldn't it? I understand that orchestral music tempo varies quite often... I'm just trying to figure out how I would do this myself. I've always created separate sessions for each song in the past when I've found myself in this situation.

JFreak 01-31-2020 10:47 AM

Sure. There is only one tempo map in a session so if you need bars|beats (and want to start each song from zero seconds) you have no other option than having each song in its own session.

Of course, if it isn't too awkward and you really want to keep all your stuff in the same session, you could start first song from beat 001, second song from beat 101, and so on. But in the end it is more trouble than splitting the stuff into multiple sessions.