Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Avid HDX DSP-only System (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405919)

musicalnyc 08-11-2019 08:33 AM

Avid HDX DSP-only System

I'm wondering if anyone is out there running a AAX DSP-only HDX system using zero AAX-Native plug-ins / instruments and running only Pro Tools HD on the computer. To me the idea of keeping the whole system DSP-based (or as much as is possible) and focused on its core task of recording / editing / mixing is interesting...

Anyone?

MIKEROPHONICS 08-11-2019 08:41 AM

Avid HDX DSP-only System

Interesting why?

For playback tracks, native is absolutely dandy (with delay comp)
For aux inputs dsp
For tracks where you may drop in (commentary) dsp for zero latency

Being dsp only limits choice of plugs.

Native computers massively outperform hdx in terms of power. Why not harness the power of both.

I don’t understand your limitation reasoning. The gain is zero and the loss is huge. It’s a bit like looking at the width of a piano keyboard and only using a pentatonic scale in one octave. Unless I am missing something? Academic but ultimately senseless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucienpalmer 08-11-2019 08:43 AM

Re: Avid HDX DSP-only System

I try to rely on HDX as much as possible. But unfortunately a lot of my favorite plugins (reverbs especially) don’t have HDX versions. Still, I’d say my sessions are 90% HDX.

Keep in mind- on a big session, more than half of my HDX3 system is running mixers, not plugins.

I think having both HDX and decent Native processing are equally important.

MIKEROPHONICS 08-11-2019 09:45 AM

Hi Lucien

I am really curious as to why you want to run hdx reverbs? All reverbs have pre delay before the tail. What is the need for them to be dsp? They are a delayed effect.
I love my Exponential reverbs, but often in post others I work with insist on Altiverb (which when it works it’s great - but is prone to ringing and is a pig to edit), and a dsp hog!. I can’t for the life of me see what I am missing running them natively....

albee1952 08-11-2019 12:07 PM

I know several HDX users that are asking for a way to switch into a "native" mode for mixing:o When I ran a commercial room in Nashville, I tracked full bands on HDN with 48 IO and never heard a mention of latency unless I did something wrong. My usual tracking template had upwards of 50 plugins while tracking(worst ADC culprit was 7 samples for IK Amplitube) and I provided 6 stereo headphone mixes directly out of Pro Tools(template was so well-tweaked for HP mixes that I rarely spent more than 2 minutes getting the players happy). For me, the only reason to want HDX is to get more than 64 IO:o

LDS 08-11-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS (Post 2535196)
Hi Lucien

I am really curious as to why you want to run hdx reverbs? All reverbs have pre delay before the tail. What is the need for them to be dsp? They are a delayed effect.
I love my Exponential reverbs, but often in post others I work with insist on Altiverb (which when it works it’s great - but is prone to ringing and is a pig to edit), and a dsp hog!. I can’t for the life of me see what I am missing running them natively....

It's a voice allocation issue more than anything, I think. Native plugins on aux's will chew up 1 voice per channel. I switch out AAX-Native reverbs with less preferable AAX-DSP reverbs more than I am willing to admit because they often tip my HDX1 system over the edge.