Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Pro Tools 9 and Windows XP? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=292290)

D-Synth 01-16-2011 05:22 PM

Pro Tools 9 and Windows XP?

Can I use Pro Tools 9 on my one PC with Windows XP Pro edition? I only see Windows 7 as System Requirements. Thanks

necjamc 01-16-2011 05:23 PM

Re: Pro Tools 9 and Windows XP?

No, it will not install on XP or Vista.

spenner 01-16-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Synth (Post 1737205)
Can I use Pro Tools 9 on my one PC with Windows XP Pro edition? I only see Windows 7 as System Requirements. Thanks

No. You can try it but, yeah, no.

EDIT: Necjamc beat me to it. ;) Cool that it won't even install.

necjamc 01-16-2011 05:33 PM

I didn't try on XP but on vista it stated it would not install.

D-Synth 01-16-2011 05:45 PM

OK, is it better I go and get Windows 7 and do a Clean-Install, or can I simply upgrade Windows 7 from XP? Is Windows 7 better in 32 or 64 bit? I don't need extra headaches...Not sure what to do here...Thanks!

spenner 01-16-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Synth (Post 1737220)
OK, is it better I go and get Windows 7 and do a Clean-Install, or can I simply upgrade Windows 7 from XP? Is Windows 7 better in 32 or 64 bit? I don't need extra headaches...Not sure what to do here...Thanks!

Clean install for sure!

32 or 64bit depends on your needs. I know several people still on 32bit because of problems with some of their essential 32bit plugins still not working well in 64bit. All of my 32bit only plugins work in 64bit and PT, including Waves. If you will be using a program like Reaper or Cubase, or rewiring Reaper into PT then 64bit gives you access to more than 3.5 gigs of RAM (the 32bit limit). (FWIW I've heard that 64bit allows PT to access a full 4G's of installed RAM over the technically 3.5 limit. Not that big a deal).

albee1952 01-16-2011 06:09 PM

+1 for the clean install, but if you have a working system right now, I would remove all your hard drives. Install a new or spare drive and load up Windows 7 (64 bit would be my choice), tweak it, update it, install PT9 drivers and software and do some basic testing(on the system drive for the moment). Once you are satisfied that things are functional, then reconnect your other drives and check by testing an old session(which will hopefully come up but with all your missing plugins made inactive. At this point, I would save a drive image. If you don't have Acronis True Image Home 11, you might want to buy it, but Windows 7 does have a basic imaging feature that works for imaging an entire drive(Acronis can restore partitions and I can't tell if Win7 can do that). Once you have a backup of your basic setup, then reload the rest of your goodies. Install everything as administrator(not always needed, but I do it anyway). I also set all programs to run as admin.

Bill Denton 01-16-2011 08:28 PM

According to Microsoft, you must do a clean (Advanced) installation on a machine running XP.

However there have been a couple of posts in this forum from people who have installed PT 9 on XP...

cwsand 01-16-2011 08:35 PM

You can run the Windows 7 installer from XP and it will move the entire XP installation to a folder named Windows.old. The only way to upgrade from XP is to first upgrade to Vista, then upgrade Vista to Windows 7.

AndyJCP 01-17-2011 02:25 AM

PT9 will install on XP with a warning message.
For me, it works fine with XP, although it is not recommended and not supported.