Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Recording Midi with Start and End Selection (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408536)

R0b M 02-16-2020 11:42 AM

Recording Midi with Start and End Selection

1 Attachment(s)
If I select a range of measures to record the recorded midi ends up 6 measures later than when I played. Can anyone think of a reason this is happening? I've had this happen in several projects. If I remove the range and just record from a starting location the midi gets placed correctly.

JFreak 02-16-2020 12:15 PM

Re: Recording Midi with Start and End Selection

Does this happen with all instruments or just some specific plugin?

R0b M 02-16-2020 02:06 PM

It doesn't seem to matter. I was using Kontakt so I switched to the Mini Grand and then to Xpand!2. Recording always places the notes 6 measures later than where they were played.

JFreak 02-16-2020 02:24 PM

and you are using which OS&PT combo?

R0b M 02-16-2020 02:39 PM

MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6 with Pro Tools 2019.12.0. I also tried adding a different track and it does the same thing. I opened a few old projects and they all have the same problem although the offset isn't always the same. In one project the offset was one measure instead of 6.

TNM 02-17-2020 01:09 AM

I'll check now and see if I can reproduce.. It could be the midi KB you are using of course but it could be a PT bug.

BRB.

Maybe if a few people can reproduce it then avid have something to go on.

TNM 02-17-2020 01:13 AM

Yep, reproduced it 100%.

It's broken in 2019.12.

If you highlight a range and play in midi notes, it puts them at the next bar.. you can see as you are playing them that is recording them in a total different area of the track. FRICK!

Edit, workaround is to highlight the range on a different track but just have the record armed only on the midi track. Still.. that's ridiculous.

basehead617 02-17-2020 11:01 AM

this is absolutely ridiculous

JFreak 02-17-2020 11:06 AM

Anyone still using 2019.10, can you confirm it is not broken there?

TNM 02-17-2020 09:09 PM

I'm in the process of making a little video of it just to clearly show the issue for all.

I'm on the imac right now and only have 2019.12 so can't test a previous.. hopefully someone else can.. I should be able to check out PT 2018 tonight on the HS partition but I no longer have PT 12/Sierra partition on the macbook as I felt I didn't need it anymore.. To be honest I was going to delete the HS partition this weekend and PT 2018 as well.

Maybe 2020 will fix it and they are already aware of it. I would have noticed it though in earlier versions as I use this feature now and then.

Then again, saying they might fix it is like saying they might fix the midi connection project reload bug, which has been there ever since I first used pro tools.. That one boggles my mind that they won't fix it. I am almost never able to reload a project and have it sound as I last left it, I always have to find a couple missing sounds and remake the connections. So the workflow time I save by using PT is sort of negated cause I have to check every project on every reload to make sure it's connected to it's midi out!