Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   MacBook Pro & PT 12.5 - Upgrade & Compatibility (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412855)

johnbarnesiii 11-24-2020 10:32 PM

MacBook Pro & PT 12.5 - Upgrade & Compatibility

Hi guys, I’ve been using PT 12.5 on an older (late 2011) MacBook Pro to record with. After many years of great use, the logic board on the Mac went bust, so I’m needing to upgrade laptop...

My question is regarding compatibility. My system was setup and working within PT 12.5 on an older Mac OS (El Capitan 10.11.6). I was also using certain virtual instruments and plugins, namely Arturia V Collection, Kontakt, Sampletank, and the Waves bundle...

So I’m wondering, in searching for a different Mac laptop, which specs do I need to ensure that I can still run my PT 12.5 perpetual license, as well as my virtual instruments & plugins? Do I need the newer laptop to remain on the same OS El Capitan 10.11.6 as before, or will certain things stop working if I upgrade past that version of Mac OS? I’m wanting to buy a MacBook Pro that’s a little newer than the late 2011, but not so new that my old PT files & VST’s/plugins won’t work.

Trying to make a smooth transition as possible here. Which specs on a MacBook Pro would you recommend in terms of year & OS? Any tips much appreciated!

JFreak 11-24-2020 11:04 PM

Re: MacBook Pro & PT 12.5 - Upgrade & Compatibility

New laptop will not be compatible with old OS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnbarnesiii 11-25-2020 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2584978)
New laptop will not be compatible with old OS

Thanks. I understand the new 2020 laptops won’t be compatible, but I’m wondering about a used one that’s maybe a couple years older than my 2011 and potentially being capable of having El Capitan on it? Maybe a 2013? Or 2012 even. Just wondering how far I can push it before being incompatible?

JFreak 11-25-2020 07:03 AM

When a new hardware comes out, it is compatible with the OS it comes with, and later. Earlier are not going to work because there are no drivers for new hardware

johnbarnesiii 11-25-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2585016)
When a new hardware comes out, it is compatible with the OS it comes with, and later. Earlier are not going to work because there are no drivers for new hardware

I see. So you mean I’d have to find a used laptop with the exact specs (late 2011 MacBook Pro, with exact version of El Capitan 10.11.6) in order for it to continue to work with my PT 12.5, right?

JFreak 11-25-2020 12:48 PM

Yes. Would be more sensible to buy newer hardware and update PT