Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How to setup dialogue reverb for surround? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403135)

critictalk 01-28-2019 05:16 PM

How to setup dialogue reverb for surround?

If I want to create 5.1/7.1 reverb for dialogue(in a large hall or cave), should I setup a mono send to mono aux with multichannel reverb inserted? Or should I create 5.1/7.1 send to 5.1/7.1 aux with multichannel reverb inserted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgoorevich 01-28-2019 10:23 PM

Re: How to setup dialogue reverb for surround?

Quote:

Originally Posted by critictalk (Post 2514538)
If I want to create 5.1/7.1 reverb for dialogue(in a large hall or cave), should I setup a mono send to mono aux with multichannel reverb inserted? Or should I create 5.1/7.1 send to 5.1/7.1 aux with multichannel reverb inserted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of why .1? The dialog never carries any information for the Lfe channel.
I personally create 5.0 or 7.0 Aux and insert multichannel reverb on it e.g Exponential Audio Stratus Surround reverb.

audiograce 02-17-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgoorevich (Post 2514555)
I personally create 5.0 or 7.0 Aux and insert multichannel reverb on it e.g Exponential Audio Stratus Surround reverb.

Really? Never? I have had many occasions to use an LFE channel for "monster" dialog or other processed dialog. Just my 2¢.

To answer the original question ... There isn't really a "right" or "wrong" way ... it all depends on what is called for onscreen. When ADR matching, it is often best to use a MONO return which matches the field image of the dialog you're trying to match. When using reverb for effect ... wider field images are often helpful. I find it's usually easiest to use a mono send and then pan the returns (often via mono to multichannel plug ins) as needed.... but sometimes, more specific (directional) verbs sound better ... in which case you may want to use multichannel sends.

Again ... no rules ... it's the result the matters.

Hope this helps,

mgoorevich 02-17-2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiograce (Post 2516930)
Really? Never? I have had many occasions to use an LFE channel for "monster" dialog or other processed dialog. Just my 2¢.

No, I still would say never 5.1 for dialog.
In my book the dialog is too important to rely (any of its part) on the Lfe channels.
If I want a "monster alike" sound I would open an Aux with Lowender or other Sub Synthesiser plugin inserted on it and outputting it to the C or LR or both. But no Lfe, sorry.

Ryan Young 02-18-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgoorevich (Post 2516948)
No, I still would say never 5.1 for dialog.
In my book the dialog is too important to rely (any of its part) on the Lfe channels.
If I want a "monster alike" sound I would open an Aux with Lowender or other Sub Synthesiser plugin inserted on it and outputting it to the C or LR or both. But no Lfe, sorry.

I never use the .1 for dialogue, ever. However, I like to set up the bus as either a 5.1 or a 7.1 so I can use the stock fold down plugin. It doesn't work on a 5.0 track. Just a preference in workflow.

minister 02-18-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgoorevich (Post 2514555)

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiograce (Post 2516930)

Has anyone told Ben Burtt that he can't put Jabba The Hutt's voice in the LFE (baby boom) for Return of the Jedi? When was that released? On The 12th of Never?

Like Todd, I've used it for monster dialogue and even for "devilish" characters.

mgoorevich 02-18-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minister (Post 2517015)
Has anyone told Ben Burtt that he can't put Jabba The Hutt's voice in the LFE (baby boom) for Return of the Jedi? When was that released? On The 12th of Never?

Like Todd, I've used it for monster dialogue and even for "devilish" characters.

Ok, I assume its subjective. I also subjectively think that panning dialog to surrounds physically disrupts audience from the screen. I do like surround reverbs when they sound natural and with taste.

Rich Breen 02-19-2019 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgoorevich (Post 2517051)
...I also subjectively think that panning dialog to surrounds physically disrupts audience from the screen...

Tell that to Godard... ;-)

reichman 02-19-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Breen (Post 2517068)
Tell that to Godard... ;-)

You don't have to go that far. Tell it to Skip Lievsay!

mgoorevich 02-19-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reichman (Post 2517086)
You don't have to go that far. Tell it to Skip Lievsay!

From his interview by the Dolby Atmos guy its not that clear either it was his decision or Cuarón's one...(having said that I liked the film, its sound design and mix but still I think that Cuaróns best film so far was "Children of men".

While I deeply respect gentlemen above and adore their powerful influence in a world cinema, I still have my subjective opinion on their certain artistic experiments.