Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Protools 12 - greyed out tracks - but still play (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=410677)

loboford 06-09-2020 06:40 PM

Protools 12 - greyed out tracks - but still play

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and I had something come up in Protools 12 that I have not encountered before. I tried to search the forums before posting this but wasn’t able to come across the same issue. So apologies in advance if this is already answered somewhere. I accidentally clicked something in my Protools 12 session and I do not know what in which all my tracks turned grey and when I try to edit the frequency bars on each track they seem doubled and it’s making it difficult for me to edit/select. Other threads ask about greyed out tracks that are muted but the sound still plays in my situation. The sound is still active on the tracks so I do not believe they are muted. Has anyone encountered this and how can I turn this off so that I can go back to working on my project? I have included a picture to illustrate what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

system specs:
macOS Catalina version 10.15.4
Computer model and processor speed - iMac - 3.7 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5
64 GB 2667 MHzDD4
Using Focusrite - Scarlett Solo
Pro tools 12

albee1952 06-10-2020 03:44 PM

Re: Protools 12 - greyed out tracks - but still play

I can't tell much by the pic due to low resolution(which happens a lot when doing this:confused:). When you the sound is still active, does that mean you can hear playback? Or is it just meters moving but no sound from your speakers? If you hear sound, then all is working so maybe its a setting in Prefs re track coloring. If you see meters but DON'T hear any audio, then I would look at your output settings on tracks and on the OUTPUT tab of your IO Setup as this points to a non-working output path.

loboford 06-10-2020 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply! To be clear there is still sound so sound is not the concern. Because all the tracks are greyed out, when I click on one to edit, the track will not get darker or select. It doesn’t matter whether its a s stereo file, midi file etc… when I click on it, it shows that its doubled and I can’t change the db without it being doubled and it won’t let me re-record or edit the track. I have attached another shot to show what I mean. I’m looking through all my preferences but I don’t know where to look or what I could have clicked.

Thank you,

64 GB 2667 MHzDD4
Pro tools 12

Carl Lie 06-10-2020 04:45 PM

check that they are assigned to a proper output.

C

loboford 06-10-2020 05:54 PM

Hi C,

All the trackers are assigned to a proper output.

JFreak 06-10-2020 06:20 PM

Catalina and PT12 just are not compatible, period.

loboford 06-10-2020 07:30 PM

Hi Jfreak,

Protools works fine with all my sessions so it’s not a compatibility issue with the OS It’s a setting that was accidentally activated that turned the tracks grey. I’m just trying to figure out what setting that was?

JFreak 06-10-2020 11:57 PM

Compatibility info here.

Darryl Ramm 06-11-2020 12:31 AM

Greyed out tracks are tracks that don't have an input assigned. Often happens when the playback engine is switched to built-in output. But as mentioned Catalina is not the island you want to be on with Pro Tools 12. You will almost certainly find problems.

Marsdy 06-11-2020 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loboford (Post 2568995)
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums and I had something come up in Protools 12 that I have not encountered before. I tried to search the forums before posting this but wasn’t able to come across the same issue. So apologies in advance if this is already answered somewhere. I accidentally clicked something in my Protools 12 session and I do not know what in which all my tracks turned grey and when I try to edit the frequency bars on each track they seem doubled and it’s making it difficult for me to edit/select. Other threads ask about greyed out tracks that are muted but the sound still plays in my situation. The sound is still active on the tracks so I do not believe they are muted. Has anyone encountered this and how can I turn this off so that I can go back to working on my project? I have included a picture to illustrate what I mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

system specs:
64 GB 2667 MHzDD4
Pro tools 12

It looks like you’ve accidentally switched all tracks to volume view instead of clips? Press and hold option and then change them all back to clips view maybe?