Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   ONE session keeps crashing PT (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409420)

briaboy 04-08-2020 05:41 PM

ONE session keeps crashing PT

Hi All,

I have one song session that keeps crashing PT no matter what I do. I have created a new session, imported the channels one by one, plugin by plugin, to find the "corrupt" component. When i think it's been fixed, I open the session, and here we go again....I've trashed prefs, even re-recorded tracks, changed plugins, made sure I have all the latest versions of plugins, you name it. There seems to be something deep or "core" in this session that is corrupt or causes conflicts but I can't locate it. Any thoughts? As I say, it's only this ONE session, all my other sessions are totally fine.

Thanks!
bb

albee1952 04-08-2020 06:35 PM

Re: ONE session keeps crashing PT

I'm still suspicious of a plugin so try some deeper troubleshooting.
#1-hold the SHIFT key while opening the session(this makes all plugins inactive). If the session opens and plays, that points to a plugin.
#2-if the session played, make the first row of plugins active(do the entire row by holding down the modifier key while you right-click and Make Active any plugin in the first row. For windows, its the ALT key.
#3-If making all of insert A active still allows playback, save>close>open the session. If it still plays, repeat for insert slot B, then C, etc
#4-the above troubleshooting should allow you to pin down which row of plugins has the offender, but you'll need to dig down to running #3 on single plugins(unless you can figure out if this session has a plugin that you didn't use in any other session)
#5-if it really looks like its not a plugin, open the session using the SHIFT key(all you need to do is get the session to open). Then go to File>Save Copy, in the next window, hit the checkbox to copy audio files and change the sample rate>then save to your recording drive. What sample rate to change to? If the original is at 48K, save the copy as 44.1K(or vice versa). The idea here is that the sample rate conversion will re-write all the audio files. If the session has any files that have some kind of corruption(causing the crash), then re-writing the files might "iron out the wrinkles"(I know it seems far-fetched, but this has worked for me more than once).

Last idea, in the session folder, you should see a file called WaveCache. With the session(and Pro Tools) closed, delete that file and try again:o

Southsidemusic 04-08-2020 07:27 PM

If you want to do a quick test do a ”save copy in” and open it in a whole new clean session after you checked Albees tips. The save copy in option will let us know if your session is corrupt or not.

briaboy 04-09-2020 05:46 AM

Excellent, thorough advice. I will try this today!
best,
bb

JFreak 04-09-2020 06:21 AM

Even if it works for you, please start a support case with Avid Support and send them your corrupt session. It is invaluable for their engineering. You do not need to send any audio with it, only session file.

briaboy 04-09-2020 06:50 AM

Will do, thanks.

briaboy 04-13-2020 10:33 AM

I *think* a combination of all these things has worked...testing today, fingers crossed, and thanks again!

briaboy 04-13-2020 06:20 PM

Yep, seems to be working....thank you all!

Southsidemusic 04-14-2020 01:17 AM

Thanks for Letting us know :-)

We are All here for eachother and even more these times.

Stay Safe and have fun making music.