Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Cloud Users? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=390324)

WAXLTD 04-09-2017 11:05 AM

Cloud Users?

Posting here because the Cloud forum itself is relatively deserted.

Has anyone had consistent success with complex Projects in the cloud? We had some moderate success a few versions back. But lately, we've been having errors like crazy trying to simply get a project off the ground.

Server timeouts, tracks won't upload. Before even inviting anyone, all kinds of errors getting the project uploaded.

We've started several support tickets, but as there is a long lag before someone emails you back, it's somewhat difficult to work this out with support.

At any rate, just wondering if any other users out there have had any reliable success.

WAXLTD 04-09-2017 12:09 PM

Re: Cloud Users?

Well, I posted this in the 12 forum because not many users are in the cloud forum and posts don't get replied to. But it was moved here. Oh, well.

Carl Kolchak 04-09-2017 12:53 PM

I'm sure you'll find there's a lot more traffic here...

... And by traffic, I mean tumble weeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Bush 04-09-2017 05:02 PM

We've been experimenting with it for the last couple of weeks.

I've got four projects I'm overseeing currently - two have a smaller track count and two are very dense with lots of tracks and plugins.

All have the max number of collaborators and I'm sharing the whole project, not just stems.

So far it all seems very fast and reliable. All in all, it's kind of amazing for us. Not only doing the obvious adding of a track from a collaborator but also doing large destructive arrangement and editing changes. All seem to work great.

The only bizarre thing I have encountered so far is that on a couple of tracks when a collaborator changes something and I download those changes, it will default to wanting to upload changes from my system even though I haven't touched the track. I think it has something to do with my system having plugins that aren't installed in the collaborator session and when they become active again, it reads as a status change.

I should have a better idea when I chat with support tomorrow.

Best,

Billy Bush

clausiii 04-12-2017 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Bush (Post 2424014)
The only bizarre thing I have encountered so far is that on a couple of tracks when a collaborator changes something and I download those changes, it will default to wanting to upload changes from my system even though I haven't touched the track. I think it has something to do with my system having plugins that aren't installed in the collaborator session and when they become active again, it reads as a status change.

I should have a better idea when I chat with support tomorrow.

Best,

Billy Bush

I have similar problems when plugins have automation. it seems that automations were interpreted as "changes". I submitted this bug and hope for a bugfix with the next release...

Billy Bush 04-13-2017 10:51 AM

Quick update - The issue i ran into was indeed some automation on the tracks.

Aside from that known bug, all is working as it should.

I have to say, we find that the speed of the transfers and the workflow are kind of blowing our minds.

Best,

Billy Bush

Ecroxford 04-17-2017 12:04 PM

I have several projects with one collaborator on the cloud. Max tracks are bout 12. Sometimes it works fine other times it's helter skelter. Tracks sometimes just won't upload. I have found the melodyne doesn't appear to work with collaboration(i.e. the final result doesn't share at all). I have had to can one project that got corrupted somehow and just wouldn't share properly. When it works.. nice.... but you takes your chances with this. I have found that when tracks won't share(upload ) properly that a reboot will generally fix. Like most things pro tools it is finicky. :D

taylor4814 04-17-2017 01:12 PM

What's your bandwidth like?
https://www.google.com/#q=speed+test

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAXLTD (Post 2423979)
Posting here because the Cloud forum itself is relatively deserted.

Has anyone had consistent success with complex Projects in the cloud? We had some moderate success a few versions back. But lately, we've been having errors like crazy trying to simply get a project off the ground.

Server timeouts, tracks won't upload. Before even inviting anyone, all kinds of errors getting the project uploaded.

We've started several support tickets, but as there is a long lag before someone emails you back, it's somewhat difficult to work this out with support.

At any rate, just wondering if any other users out there have had any reliable success.

Ecroxford 04-18-2017 09:04 AM

I have a 50Mb service thru time warner but frequently get 60Mb+ . That is the download speed. Upload Should be 5Mb .. I noticed today is about 3.5Mb upload.

KR250 05-04-2017 09:04 AM

I had moderate success at first, working with one other person who purchased PT for collaboration. Had a lot of sync discrepancies that made me question if I was actually hearing all my updates, and got a lot of errors opening projects and crashing. Opening sessions were error free and loaded much faster. Eventually projects stopped working and could no longer open projects without an error code (upgraded storage plan with free space available). Couldn't get Avid to resolve the issue without paying more money to purchase a support plan. Gave up on the whole idea and just use OneDrive to transfer now without issues. A company shouldn't require you to purchase an additional support plan to fix bugs.