Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ADVICE (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=172337)

jessmeaniesaid 07-14-2006 07:08 PM

EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ADVICE

Hey everybody,

I searched the board for previous threads regarding external hard drives. I am in the process of setting up a small studio and purchasing the neccessary equipment.

So far I have an iMac G5 (not intel duo processor), digi 002, protools 7.0, m-audio bx5a near field monitors.

I am in search of an external hard drive. What do you all reccommend besides the 10,000 RPM - Western Digital "Raptor" Drives.

I want something just as fast and reliable but I have heard mixed reviews on the Lacies...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Will Russell 07-15-2006 05:49 AM

Re: EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ADVICE

I strongly suggest that you consider Glyph drives. They use 7200 Seagate drives in super quiet enclosures and robust power supplies, backed by pretty amazing tech support. www.glyphtech.com

The Dougfather 07-15-2006 07:09 AM

I have two Maxtor firewire drives, 160GB and a 200GB. They're quiet, reliable and i can't recommend them enough. Also, in the event of a fault they're repair service here in the UK is great because it can all be logged and sorted online so no need to get on the phone or start bouncing emails here there and everywhere.

Regards

jessmeaniesaid 07-15-2006 08:26 AM

what models of the maxtors? the ones with a firewire interface not USB right?

Piggles 07-15-2006 02:02 PM

No answer to the previous question, but i am also after an external hard drive, and this seems like the appropriate thread. I'm trying to confirm something: do the recommendations of Digidesign as to third-party hard drives refer to the hard drive itself, with no bearing on the shell? Will any shell do the job? My local store was suggesting I put a Barracuda drive in an Acomdata shell. ANy suggestions/cautions about this would be greatly appreciated. I'm guessing I want something fanless. Thanks,

Brett

The Dougfather 07-15-2006 02:41 PM

My maxtor drives are the one touch series and yes they are both the firewire only models. The bottom line with external firewire 400 drives on a mac is that they need the Oxford 911 chipsets. Be it a maxtor, seagate or an external caddie that you want to place an old drive in.

Before i had the maxtors i had a Firewire/USB icy box external caddie which i placed a 7200 rpm drive in. Because this caddie didn't have the Oxford chip, compared to the Maxtors it underperformed by around 50%, not good!

The bottom line, before you buy make sure it has an Oxford chipset and make sure it's firewire. For some reason USB2 on a mac is really naff but thats a whole new thread.

Good Luck Guys