Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   powermix R.I.P? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=15435)

tomcat 09-29-1999 10:57 AM

powermix R.I.P?

please, somebody say it isn't so. now that digigram has come out with an affordable hi quality i/o for the powerbook, and os9 fixes the error 42 file limit snag, am i stuck with pt 4.3 powermix? not that this is so bad, but i was hoping to run direct connect and unity and powermix on my G3 powerbook. i was told there is no 5.0 or LE powermix. this is like a bad dream, induced by the frightened marketing department that needs to protect the upper end of the pt market. computers are getting too fast. pt hardware is threatened. digi, please confirm the future of powermix?

tomcat 09-30-1999 11:16 AM

Re: powermix R.I.P?

come on, digi, dish us...

Stratman 09-30-1999 09:11 PM

My dealer told me that Powermix is history w/5.0 and LE. What a drag but what can ya do. Digi has their ways...my dealer says that if enough people grip they may change it in time..... yeah right.

Tim Goodwin 10-01-1999 08:45 AM

As I understand it, PT's 5.0 LE is now host based which would essentially make it a powermix system.

I am hopefully really wrong about this.

noisefloor 10-01-1999 02:09 PM

Posted on an earlier thread...

"TechSupt2
posted 09-28-99 05:39 PM

On a side note Pro Tools v5.0 LE will require the use of hardware to run....AMIII card or the 001 interface. There will be no PowerMIX version of the software.

Brad"

So there you have it. Powermix users have no upgrade path, and AMIII users are stuck with a new version of protools that is lacking features that they have today in 4.3.2.

Mike

DigiTechSupt 10-01-1999 02:37 PM

noisefloor wrote:
So there you have it. Powermix users have no upgrade path, and AMIII users are stuck with a new version of protools that is lacking features that they have today in 4.3.2.

What features do AMIII PT 4.3.2 have now
that they will not have with PT 5.0 LE?
From what I've seen it looks like AM3 users
are getting an excellent upgrade with 5.0 LE
Like Higher track count, R.A.S.P plug-ins
and true MIDI integration.
Could you please explain the "lacking Features"?

Mj

PTPerson 10-01-1999 06:35 PM

Please oh please oh please digi we want powerbook support!!!!!!!!!, even yourselves have raved about using a powerbook in your StarWars mobile ADR story.

C. Evans 10-01-1999 07:10 PM

I don't understand why everyone is complaining about PT 5.0 LE. To me it sounds like a dream come true. I get 24 tracks of audio, real time fx, and midi integrated with the HANDS DOWN best audio editing and mixing software on the market today. What's the down side?

tomcat 10-01-1999 11:15 PM

"Could you please explain the "lacking Features"?"

time code track, feet and frames, superclock, powermix. don't get me wrong, 001 is a great thing for the music maker, i just want a mobile protools that compliments my big, expensive one when i'm working on a film. i love to spot sounds in place or edit efx on the powerbook while traveling, at the kitchen table, etc...PLEASE, bring back powermix!

i know, i know, i can still use 4.3, but you know...

Joris Vincken 10-02-1999 04:53 AM

Mj, what is it with Digi that you just don't wanna answer a simple question? The question still is WILL THERE BE A PT FOR NOTEBOOKS (and Imacs)? That seems like a big feature that is lacking from PT5.