Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Using one plug in for multiple tracks HELP (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=308150)

Rosanimal 09-25-2011 05:59 PM

Using one plug in for multiple tracks HELP

Hello...here's what I'd like to do.Ive recorded two lead tracks(separate tracks) but id like both tracks to share the same plug ins.is there any way to do this and still have individual volume control over both tracks?
Here's the way I have it routed currently.one aux track with a couple if plugs on it.....the ins in this track is going to (lets say bus 3&4).then I have the outs of the two ld tracks going into (bus 3&4)...this lets me share the plugs but it doesn't give me individual volume control per track.can someone break this down to me the right way? Thanks

madgt621 09-26-2011 03:04 AM

Re: Using one plug in for multiple tracks HELP

I think I can see what you're trying to get at and I may or may not be able to give an acceptable solution.

I'm going to assume that you are PT8LE or PT9, if you are on any HD version, the solution is to make two aux tracks (or just put the plugs on the audio tracks themselves) and group the tracks and plugs together, so when you tweak one, it will tweak the other. Sadly, this is not a feature in PTLE or regular PT9.

So right off the bat, you got two tracks going into one aux, effectively making it one track, yet you're trying to adjust volume post fx, correct? But once they are up in the aux track, there's no way to really separate them, because they are now technically one track at that aux. So here's my solutions (if you can call it that):

1. Instances of the plugin's on each track. It's kind of a pain, but when you adjust one, remove the plug in's on the other and just copy the plugs onto the other track.

2. Send to aux. In the instance where you still want the dry unaffected signal going through, just use sends instead of the actual output of each track. If you have the send set to "Post Fader" the effect will be affected by the fader of the actual track. If it's set to "Pre Fader", you would need to control the volume via the actual send. This works well for delays, reverbs, and other mod fx that you would blend with the dry signal. Any unwanted trails from the effect can be fixed in automation anyway.

So that's what I got so far. It's about all I can do without actually knowing the fx you're trying to use, so I can see what's actually applicable. If you could go a bit more in depth on what you're trying to do, I'm sure that I or anyone else on the forum could probably give you more solutions.

singtall 09-26-2011 07:20 AM

Re: Using one plug in for multiple tracks HELP

normally, what i would do is to make a stereo submix, then assign the tracks to that submix. next i insert the effects i want into the submix and i'm done.

using this method will be quite different in terms of effects mix levels. you will find that it's best to start with the effect set at only 1-5 on the mix level then bring it up until it's enough.

i use this method for guitars when i want to keep them both in the same "room" with reverb and i also add BBE this way.