Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   MBox2 no sound in DAW but sound in speakers (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406745)

ZipSnipe 10-14-2019 06:11 PM

MBox2 no sound in DAW but sound in speakers

I just reinstalled Pro Tools 8 le (latest updates applied)and hooked my M Box 2 back up on a Win7 pc. I have my mixer going into the MBox and the MBox outs to my monitors. I play a drumbeat and the sound comes out my monitors but no sound goes into the DAW (this includes ProTools and FlStudio). I went into the sound panel and tried recording and playback with mbox selected and not selected, same result. I have a Korg Electribe hooked up and it plays thru the mbox and out to the speaker but again nothing from the DAW. I also updated the MBOX 2 drivers to the latest and nothing.

ANy ideas?

Darryl Ramm 10-14-2019 06:35 PM

Re: MBox2 no sound in DAW but sound in speakers

You are likely hearing sound out of the monitors connected to the Mbox via hardware monitoring in the Mbox, completely independent of Pro Tools.

Nobody here can guess what you mean by "no sound goes into the DAW", ie. what exactly are you seeing?

What "Sound Panel" are you talking about. Windows Sound setting should not be involved here... you do *not* want Windows Sound trying to use the Mbox 2.

Are you using an audio (not instrument) track? Does it have the correct input assigned? Do you see the input meter move? Is that track meter in pre-fader mode? Do you see a waveform recorded in the edit window? Is the master fader turned up? Do you see the master fader meter moving aqs you play back stuff.

It's often best to start things stupidly simple. Disconnect everything and just have the monitors connected to the MBox 2. Create a new session add a stereo audio track and drag and drop a known good audio file onto that track. Press play and make sure you see the meters move and can hear output in the monitors. If the Pro Tools meters move and you can't hears stuff turn up the Mbox volume and try headphones.

ZipSnipe 10-15-2019 05:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. No sound in daw means exactly what it says. There is no sound going into the computer from the Mbox. I have Electribe playing a drum beat to the inputs of the Mbox, it comes out to monitors but not in the computer. I tried all the usual suspects, sound control panel, etc. Tried both PT8 and FLStudio. The mbox shows up as driver in both programs but again no sound comes out or in.

I am assuming that the mbox might be toast , it sat in a closet for several years , the reason I stopped using it was I was getting a low level static in the mix. Later on YouTube one night I seen a guy add a ground wire to the chassis of the mbox and this solved his static problem. I made a ground wire for mine and fired it all back up the other nite and here we are.

Darryl Ramm 10-15-2019 07:29 AM

When you say “no sound” and I ask you to explain more and ask you some questions about exactly what you are doing and seeing and you don’t bother to answer any of them .... Not even the most obvious confirmation you are recording to an audio not an instrument track.... you are likely just wasting your time posting here.

albee1952 10-15-2019 08:26 AM

Does the Mbox have a MIX knob on it? If so, turn it to 12 o'clock and retest:o

ZipSnipe 10-16-2019 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2541355)
When you say “no sound” and I ask you to explain more and ask you some questions about exactly what you are doing and seeing and you don’t bother to answer any of them .... Not even the most obvious confirmation you are recording to an audio not an instrument track.... you are likely just wasting your time posting here.

Please do not respond to this thread with an attitude like that. The control panel was the windows control panel. I finally figured out that the mbox2 control panel was not there and did not load properly. And when I say “no sound” it absolutely meant that no sound whatsoever was getting into the computer regardless off the daw, instrument/audio tracks or any other way of detecting audio.

ZipSnipe 10-16-2019 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2541366)
Does the Mbox have a MIX knob on it? If so, turn it to 12 o'clock and retest:o

Thanx Albee, I did try that. I have now uninstalled everything and in the middle of reinstalling.

ZipSnipe 10-16-2019 06:42 AM

Thanks guys appreciate your input but I think the mbox is fried. I am now getting bsod, constant freezes and crashes during the installation. I noticed the usb port is very loose , so most likely I am getting a short. Think i am just gonna toss it, thanx again