Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   cannot reamp using eleven into fasttrack c600 into pro tools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=326228)

clydey 08-02-2012 08:46 AM

cannot reamp using eleven into fasttrack c600 into pro tools

newby some help appreciated
i have the eleven rack as external processor s/pdif into m audio fasttrack c600 and then into protools 9 ( the c600 is my main audio interface to protools)
i have loaded the template guitar tracking and reamping.
i have recorded a dry track and a wet track but cannot record to the re amp track from the dry track / nor can i reamp out the dry track to external amp from eleven rack (no sound)
i have tried all permutations of dry track output - reamp track input, rig input - patched the eleven (output from amp to input 1 on the fast track, all showing no bars on reamp track (no audio)
the only time i can get input to the reamp track is when i plug the guitar into fasttrack c600 and select guitar input on reamp track then the audio shows up on the bars when i play guitar
the reamp track is armed and i have selected output to amp left
(tried it from back panel output to amp as well)
i have looked at fasttrack input and output setup but still unsure
can anybody tell me what i am doing wrong please

Darryl Ramm 08-02-2012 09:36 AM

You would normally use an S/PDIF output from your interface to the Eleven Rack and you need to send your dry track to that output and set the Eleven Rack input to it's digital port connected to that output.

Selecting reamp input on the Eleven Rack only works when it is the interface.

I think this is explained in the manual and as well in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWP0EIFz0c0

Your Eleven Rack templates may also just not map correctly when using another interface. You have to look exactly at what the physical inputs are for say the dry track--it needs to be the correct L or R side if the S/PDIF input of the interface. Your Eleven Rack needs to be set to output the correct signal to its digital output. You can send a mini dry signal and a mono wet signal over S/PDIF but you cannot send a mono dry signal and a stereo wet signal. All described in the manual.

Darryl

clydey 08-02-2012 10:43 AM

Re: cannot reamp using eleven into fasttrack c600 into pro tools

thank you for the reply i had already studied the video as i have been working on this problem for nearly a week.
i had the problem with a new session and read a reply on another thread (not mine)that someone else mentioned to start with guitar tracking and reamp template to get familiar re re amping
at present here are my settings
2 spdif cables connected from eleven to fasttrack c600
rig input set to digital out (digital l/r digital l or digital r no difference)
reamp track set to digital l/r ( only digital choice)
in eleven digital output set to rig outputs
in pro tools setup i/o
the fasttrack inputs and outputs are
inputs eleven rig l/r set to analogue 3 and 4
guitar in set to analogue 1and 2
digital in l/r set to s/pdif 5 left 6 right
the outputs are
main out analogue 1 and 2
reamp analogue 3 and 4
digital output spdif 7 and 8
it also shows 2 extra inputs 5 and 6 which confuses me
still no audio bars to the reamp track but getting the dry track to external amp now but scrolling the rigs has no effect on the dry output to external amp
i was not aware that reamp was only used if eleven rack was the interface cheers for that but still baffled

Darryl Ramm 08-02-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydey (Post 1953803)
thank you for the reply i had already studied the video as i have been working on this problem for nearly a week.
i had the problem with a new session and read a reply on another thread (not mine)that someone else mentioned to start with guitar tracking and reamp template to get familiar re re amping
at present here are my settings
2 spdif cables connected from eleven to fasttrack c600
rig input set to digital out (digital l/r digital l or digital r no difference)
reamp track set to digital l/r ( only digital choice)
in eleven digital output set to rig outputs
in pro tools setup i/o
the fasttrack inputs and outputs are
inputs eleven rig l/r set to analogue 3 and 4
guitar in set to analogue 1and 2
digital in l/r set to s/pdif 5 left 6 right
the outputs are
main out analogue 1 and 2
reamp analogue 3 and 4
digital output spdif 7 and 8
it also shows 2 extra inputs 5 and 6 which confuses me
still no audio bars to the reamp track but getting the dry track to external amp now but scrolling the rigs has no effect on the dry output to external amp
i was not aware that reamp was only used if eleven rack was the interface cheers for that but still baffled

What does this mean (input or output?), neither make sense.
>> reamp analogue 3 and 4
if you are connected over S/PDIF then why would anything ever be set to analog?

That's a pretty jumbled list of stuff and I expect reflects your confusion about what is goign on.

Start by following the signal flow. You need to be able to see in your head where the signal is flowing from source to recording track or from track to outputs, on the case of reamping its doing both, going out from a dry track then back into a wet track. If needed grab a piece of paper and literally draw yourself a picture of what is happening.

guitar dry recording:
-----------------------
Guitar cable goes into the Eleven rack guitar in
Rig input set to guitar in.
Digital output of the eleven rack set to split in/out (that is dry guitar on one channel and wet mono on the other) (in the Eleven Rack control panel>user options).
Eleven rack S/PDIF out connected to the interface S/PDIF digital in.
Pro Tools guitar dry track input set to interface digital in (to the correct side of he L/R S/PDIF pair).
You often normally also record the mono wet signal on the other channel of the S/PDIF, just because you can/and you likely wand to monitor that.

Wet guitar recording: (try this to before trying reamping)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Guitar cable goes into the Eleven rack guitar in
Rig input set to guitar in.
Digital output of the eleven rack set to Rig Ouptuts (in the Eleven Rack control panel>user options).
Pro Tools guitar (stereo) wet track input set to interface S/PDIF digital in

Reamping:
-----------
Eleven Rack input set to Digital L or Digital R (whatever side you have the mono dry signal going to).
Eleven rack S/PDIF in connected to the interface S/PDIF digital out.
Your dry guitar track output set to the interface S/PDIF output
Digital output of the eleven rack set to rig out (because you likely want stereo, if not you can leave it split)
Wet guitar track (typically stereo) input set to the interface S/PDIF in

In all cases your main pro tools output goes to the interface analog output/monitors or headphones and does not change.

You need to make sure the Eleven Rack is using the S/PDIF (not AES/EBU) digital interfaces, you set that in the device Systems Preferences on a Mac and I presume the device control panel on Windows.

If you cannot get this to work, you may want to first practice with reamping with the Eleven Rack as your interface and then venturing out on more complex configurations.

Darryl

clydey 08-02-2012 12:36 PM

yes sorry for the confusion
remember that my interface is the fasttrack c600 and the eleven is connected to it by s/pdif. the protools and c600 are connected by usb
so when in pro tools - setup - i/o a table is presented to me with the c600 mapping. (this is the input and outputs i referred to and would not show up unless you had a c600 as your main playback engine)
i normally just use the c600 input 1 for guitar for recording to pro tools and if i uncheck the analogue input 1 and 2 in this menu mapping table then every track in pro tools input shows that guitar mic input path is inactive so at this point remains checked
the eleven is set to s/pdif -user options digital clock/ input s/pdif
i have the dry output track set to digital out and the reamp track set to digital in
with the reamp track armed press play and the audio plays back on my outputs and shows on the bar graph (dry track) and wet track but not in reamp trackbar graph .
i think that the dry out signal should go up the digital path into the eleven and is transmitted down the digital out of the eleven and into the armed reamp track which has digital in selected but still no joy
cheers

Darryl Ramm 08-02-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydey (Post 1953825)
yes sorry for the confusion
remember that my interface is the fasttrack c600 and the eleven is connected to it by s/pdif. the protools and c600 are connected by usb
so when in pro tools - setup - i/o a table is presented to me with the c600 mapping. (this is the input and outputs i referred to and would not show up unless you had a c600 as your main playback engine)
i normally just use the c600 input 1 for guitar for recording to pro tools and if i uncheck the analogue input 1 and 2 in this menu mapping table then every track in pro tools input shows that guitar mic input path is inactive so at this point remains checked
the eleven is set to s/pdif -user options digital clock/ input s/pdif
i have the dry output track set to digital out and the reamp track set to digital in
with the reamp track armed press play and the audio plays back on my outputs and shows on the bar graph (dry track) and wet track but not in reamp trackbar graph .
i think that the dry out signal should go up the digital path into the eleven and is transmitted down the digital out of the eleven and into the armed reamp track which has digital in selected but still no joy
cheers

>>with the reamp track armed press play and the audio plays back on my
>>outputs and shows on the bar graph (dry track) and wet track but not in
>>reamp trackbar graph .

What audio "plays back" on the outputs? The dry track or the wet signal?

---

I understand exactly what you will see and what is your interface is, and I'm describing the ways most more experienced users would do things.

Your description are a bit hard to follow. What is your rig input and digital outputs set to in the Eleven Rack user options? Is your wet track a stereo audio track? Are you sure all these tracks are audio tracks or have you accidentally created instrument tracks? I'm having to ask you to confirm some things I've already described how to set up earlier... how about you try to set up _exactly_ what I have described. By all means ask questions if things there do not make sense or are unclear but it will be easier if you start by doing exactly what I've described. Including by starting with recording a dry track from the Eleven Rack via S/PDIF, then recording a wet track from the Eleven Rack via S/PDIF and then tryign reamping. If all those baby steps don't work as expected I expect the problems you uncover there will help whatever is going on.

You are wasting lots of the benefits of the Eleven Rack (like true Z input and monitoring of a wet track) by using your interface as an instrument input. How is the guitarist happy to record when they can't hear a wet track?

Darryl

clydey 08-02-2012 02:53 PM

yes thanks for hanging in there
eleven rack user options are
rig input set to digital l
digital outputs set to rig outputs
wet track is stereo
tracks are all audio not instrument
understand about using true z but just got eleven last week and been using c600 for a couple of months so intend to use true z
i recorded intro to whisky in the jar in dry track, plays back ok
the wet track i chose a weird rig setting doctor who effect and it also plays back ie whisky intro but unrecognisable)
i can solo each or play both together to my main outs on c600
i originally recorded the dry track as shown on the utube video you mentioned by patching a cable
but tomorrow i will set a new session and indeed do the baby steps ie recording by s/pdif ect and see what it throws up cheers

clydey 08-02-2012 03:21 PM

got a break through but not there yet
took it for granted that arming the reamp track and pressing play would set the audio bars dancing in the reamp track and let me audition the rigs in eleven
but when i armed the reamp track and pressed record and then play the input bars danced in the reamp track and the audio recorded and switching the rigs altered the sound recorded to the reamp track.
is this how it is supposed to work and if so how do i audition the pre recorded dry track on a new rig setting before recording it
cheers

Darryl Ramm 08-02-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydey (Post 1953863)
got a break through but not there yet
took it for granted that arming the reamp track and pressing play would set the audio bars dancing in the reamp track and let me audition the rigs in eleven
but when i armed the reamp track and pressed record and then play the input bars danced in the reamp track and the audio recorded and switching the rigs altered the sound recorded to the reamp track.
is this how it is supposed to work and if so how do i audition the pre recorded dry track on a new rig setting before recording it
cheers

Same with any other audio track. Don't record arm the track.

Press play, to send the Dry Signal to the Eleven Rack and you will hear the reamped track, as long as it is routed to your main outputs. Use loop play and you can just sit there and twiddle the rig settings.

Darryl