Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   PT 10.3.10 a new problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=392461)

graveleye 07-16-2017 01:55 PM

PT 10.3.10 a new problem

Got 10.3.10 up and running, almost.
Now I can't hear my tracks when record enabled. I can hear them fine until I hit play, then it goes away.

I have to be able to practice my parts along with the existing tracks, but what's the use if you can't hear them? This was not a problem last week when I still had 10.3.2. I've tried anything I can think of at this point.

I have LLM switched off and buffer set 64. I haven't had this problem since I can remember. Everything appears to be set up the same way it was before.

Is this a new feature that you can't play along with your tracks anymore? Only hear them if it is actually recording? If so that's bull squat.
Any ideas?

graveleye 07-16-2017 03:23 PM

Re: PT 10.3.10 a new problem

this really sucks. I've tried everything.
I swear if I have to system restore just so I can record and play again, it's goodbye Pro Tools.

See we use the studio to practice along with recording. If you can't hear yourself playing during playback, then it is a totally useless brick to me.

amagras 07-16-2017 03:30 PM

Play with the Input Monitoring

graveleye 07-17-2017 05:38 AM

where are you seeing Input Monitoring? All my dropdown has is Buffer and Low Latency Monitoring. LLM is off, and the buffer is set to 64.
Am I missing something here?
I just installed 10.3.10, having had no problems for years with 10.3.2. I am flummoxed. I can't work like this.

graveleye 07-17-2017 06:09 AM

i'm not at my computer right now. Is the input monitoring in the track menu?
Am I looking in the wrong place?

WernerF 07-22-2017 07:47 AM

This is clearly operator error because Pro Tools does not normally behave this way. You can always hear what you are about to punch in or play along with. The input monitor switch is over the fader in HD. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is one in Vanilla. Either way it sounds like Amgras is right and that there is a problem with the way that input monitoring is set. It would probably help to look that aspect of Pro Tools up, either in the manual or online somewhere. Pro Tools is designed to work basically like a recording console and doing what you want to do is something that consoles have been able to do since the beginning of consoles. Good luck. You'll figure this out for sure.

The Weed 07-22-2017 09:47 AM

No individual, per track Input Monitoring in PT 10 Vanilla. Have a look in the manual for Auto and Input Only, which is Global in PT 10 Vanilla. IIRC there is a keyboard shortcut for that, which you may have inadvertently hit.

graveleye 07-24-2017 07:57 AM

When I installed the new version of 10, the auto input monitoring was switched off by default. I can't for the life of me figure out why it would be set to default that way, but I finally set it back to auto input and it works fine now.
I was looking in the options when that setting is under the tracks tab. I guess it makes sense to be there, but since I use keystrokes for tracks I never use that pulldown tab and forgot it was there.
Maybe it makes sense for some or most, but the default setting and the location of the place to change it seems counter-intuitive to me.
But whatever. I found a diagram as to how that setting works and pinned it to the wall in my studio for when this happens again in five years I will remember what to do.