Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   How come I can't change the volume in the mix window? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=334360)

sb_stefan 02-08-2013 11:03 AM

How come I can't change the volume in the mix window?

If I do some volume changes to a track in the edit window, how come I can't change the volume in the mix window when I play the song. The volume control just slides back if I drag it up or down.

sw rec 02-08-2013 11:38 AM

Re: How come I can't change the volume in the mix window?

Because you have some automation written on the track. Change the view from waveform to volume, then either clear all the dots, or highlight the whole track and then change the volume.

sb_stefan 02-08-2013 11:50 AM

Ok, thanks. How do I clear the dots?

sw rec 02-08-2013 12:33 PM

highlight em and hit delete

albee1952 02-08-2013 02:19 PM

Hit youtube and watch some videos on using automation in Pro Tools. Once you get your head around it, you'll love it:D

Mikey MTC 02-08-2013 03:15 PM

Or, if you absolutely don't want any automation in your project, you can just open the Automation Window and click on "suspend." But that will disable automation entirely and globally until you reinstate it.

OR

Select absolutely every track in your session for the entire duration of your session. Then from the Edit menu, in the "Clear" section, select "Clear All Automation" and that should remove all the dots from everywhere they might have gotten into.

sb_stefan 02-08-2013 04:11 PM

After playing around with Pro Tools for a few hours I finally got my head around the whole automation thing, and yes, I love it! :D I have pans, volume changes, mutes and fades going on all over the place. When I play the song and watch the mix faders move around I just sit and smile. :p

Thanks for all the replies you guys!

hieronymous 01-15-2020 08:53 AM

I know this is a really old thread, but I wanted to express my gratitude to those who posted the answers here.

I have been using Pro Tools with the MBox since 2002 - upgraded to the MBox 2 Pro around 2008. I am 98% self-taught. Last night I dug up an old session from my original MBox days to try and remix. Every track had what looked like leftovers from crazy automation! I tried moving them out of the way but knew there had to be a better method. I don't even know what those dots are called, so couldn't look up in the manual. Finally, after some desperate Google-searching, I found this thread and was able to clear all the automation from all the tracks and start fresh! Figuring out how to do this was a real relief and being able to start remixing the track was a major rush! Thanks again!

EGS 01-15-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hieronymous (Post 2550980)
... after some desperate Google-searching ...

Google and/or YouTube is often a quick way to learn new stuff.:D

basslik 01-28-2020 05:19 PM

This forum is priceless, and all the great folks here are tremendous, especially albee1952. I can always count on him ~ !

By the way albee1952. Are you still using the 003 I see ?.

I'm still rocking on my 003 console, it just works.

What is the farthest you can go on the 003 by the way ?:confused:

Considering I'm on a Mac Pro 5,1. / Mt. Lion / PT9