Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Installing Multiple DAW's on one machine (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401062)

xrekcor 09-14-2018 12:31 AM

Installing Multiple DAW's on one machine

hey Folks,

just wondering if there has or is issues having multiple DAWs installed on one machine. Not to be able run at the same time, I would probably quit whatever Daw was running and restart my machine before starting one of the other DAWS. I would like to add Cubase 9.5 or Studio One, it will depend on what Digital desk I get.

thanks for any feedback

cheers
Rob

musicman691 09-14-2018 04:27 AM

Re: Installing Multiple DAW's on one machine

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2499718)
hey Folks,

just wondering if there has or is issues having multiple DAWs installed on one machine. Not to be able run at the same time, I would probably quit whatever Daw was running and restart my machine before starting one of the other DAWS. I would like to add Cubase 9.5 or Studio One, it will depend on what Digital desk I get.

thanks for any feedback

cheers
Rob

Ever since Avid dropped the subscription model with PT12 I've been running PT and Digital Performer on the same machine (either my late iMac or my current Cheesegrater) and there's been no issues as such. The thing to keep in mind is what plugin format each uses when installing new third party plugins. PT being the oddball out with aax; you'll need either au or vst for everything else. Best to install every plugin format as having them all won't hurt anything as each format goes in it's own folders on a Mac.

Depending on how each plugin saves presets ones you create when in one daw might not be available in the other.

I wouldn't try and have both running at the same time though. You don't have to restart the computer when switching daws - just quit say PT and launch the other daw.

An oddball thing on my system is that every once in a while when I've used PT and switched to DP when I go to shutdown for the day the computer will hang. I have to call up Terminal and use this command (pay attention to the spaces):
sudo shutdown -h now
and when prompted enter your system password and in a short while the computer will shut down. If you don't want to shutdown but reboot replace the -h with -r

BScout 09-14-2018 07:35 AM

No problem

I’ve got Cubase, Logic, and Pro Tools installed

64GTOBOY 09-14-2018 08:46 AM

Pro Tools, Harrison Mixbus and Live here.

Benoni 09-14-2018 11:06 AM

No problems. Pro Tools, Pro Tools | First, FL Studio, Studio One, Reason installed here.

albee1952 09-14-2018 11:17 AM

Indeed, the DAW software SHOULD be fine...BUT....(a great big BUT), do yourself a favor here and cover your ASSets:p. Assuming your system is working well with 1 DAW, back this up with a drive image, or clone your system drive to another drive(a good idea for all of us, anyway). That way, if things go sour(like they did for me), you can restore from the drive image, or swap the cloned drive in, so you can get work done. I never figured out why, but a co-install of Studio One(this was over a year ago) completely hosed my rig. I was able to restore from a drive image, so no harm done, but without that image, I would have been reloading every piece of software I own:eek:

BSR6P-Bob 09-14-2018 11:57 AM

Works here too:
Logic Pro X (Latest)
Harrison Mixbus v4 & Mixbus 32Cv5

Harrison Mixbus (32) has been a wonderful go to for times when PT and the latest MacOS seem to be at odds.

DonaldM 09-14-2018 12:39 PM

As has been mentioned, you can have more than one DAW installed. Many of us use Reason and Reaper in Rewire mode inside Pro Tools, as an example. But, they can also be run individually as well, all on the same machine. I've run Reason and PT at the same time, too, in order to take advantage of Reasons ability to host VSTs since version 9.5, which Reason can't do in slave (Rewire) mode. But, you may run up against CPU limits.

One at a time is best, but having them each installed, hasn't, to my knowledge, caused any issues.

AlexLakis 09-14-2018 12:45 PM

Pro Tools, Logic and Reaper here! No issues. I can even play iTunes/YouTube while Pro Tools is bouncing in real time in the background. What an age we live in (and what are the kids using this technology for? Trap music? :()

Benoni 09-14-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexLakis (Post 2499798)
Pro Tools, Logic and Reaper here! No issues. I can even play iTunes/YouTube while Pro Tools is bouncing in real time in the background. What an age we live in (and what are the kids using this technology for? Trap music? :()

worse we're doomed :D