Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Build a ProTools workstation - Need Advice, Thanks (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400024)

David Lawler 07-01-2018 01:05 PM

Build a ProTools workstation - Need Advice, Thanks

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Hobbyist here.
I have a MacPro early 2008 with upgraded graphics card and 32 MB ram (specs are attached as an image file).
I want to create a Protools workstation, and have been considering used parts.
Can I get your opinion on the following ?
• ProTool HD Native PCIe card
• Avid HD I/O 16x16 Analog audio interface
• Protools software would have to be purchased, (or upgraded from ProTools 8 which I currently own on an older mac system).
Can you recommend this combination? I really only need 16-20 tracks, recording 2-3 tracks at once in a home studio, but want professional sounding results.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

albee1952 07-01-2018 02:07 PM

Re: Build a ProTools workstation - Need Advice, Thanks

This is probably not the best route due to a few issues.
#1-current Apple OS won't work with older versions of Pro Tools
#2-Native card and HD IO REQUIRE HD software
#3-Your current version 8 software, if it is indeed HD, I believe it will need to be at least HD 8.5 to work with the HD/Native card.

If you wish to stay with the older Mac Pro, it might be better to search for an HD3 package(core card plus 2x Accell cards) and a used licence for HD(8 would be fine, but 10 would be better if the OS allows). The HD IO should also be fine, but used 192 IO's sound fine and are pretty cheap these days.:o

Keep up the research and pay close attention to which versions of PT will work with your version of OSX:o

David Lawler 07-01-2018 03:38 PM

Thanks Dave,
Dave here too ! I appreciate the information.
My MacPro is currently running Mac OX 10.11.6 (El Capitan), and it looks like ProTools 12.8 lists this version of the Mac OS as a supported version.
No, my current ProTools 8 is not HD, so I would have to purchase the HD version. I didn't think about the jump from standard to HD, but I would be willing to do so.
Thanks again for the details.
Dave

Shan 07-01-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lawler (Post 2493044)
Hi,
Hobbyist here.
I have a MacPro early 2008 with upgraded graphics card and 32 MB ram (specs are attached as an image file).
I want to create a Protools workstation, and have been considering used parts.
Can I get your opinion on the following ?
• ProTool HD Native PCIe card
• Avid HD I/O 16x16 Analog audio interface
• Protools software would have to be purchased, (or upgraded from ProTools 8 which I currently own on an older mac system).
Can you recommend this combination? I really only need 16-20 tracks, recording 2-3 tracks at once in a home studio, but want professional sounding results.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

I have an early Mac Pro 1,1 with the HD Native card and HD OMNI. I use Windows 7 for the OS. Everything works fine. If you take that route, you'll have to create a custom install of Win7 in order to get it installed.

Shane

musicman691 07-02-2018 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lawler (Post 2493056)
Thanks Dave,
Dave here too ! I appreciate the information.
My MacPro is currently running Mac OX 10.11.6 (El Capitan), and it looks like ProTools 12.8 lists this version of the Mac OS as a supported version.
No, my current ProTools 8 is not HD, so I would have to purchase the HD version. I didn't think about the jump from standard to HD, but I would be willing to do so.
Thanks again for the details.
Dave

You're running PT8 on El Crapitan? Don't know how you got it to even install. Unless you did an in-situ OSX upgrade which is never a good thing. EC is one of the worst OSX releases ever. So factor in upgrading your OSX install as well. And when you go that route do two things - make a clone of your currently working system on an external drive and do a clean install of everything. There's too many odd things that can happen when doing in-situ operating system upgrades.

Don't forget you'll also have to get modern aax64 versions of all your plugins if you go the PT12/2018 route. RTAS was dropped as of PT11.

Something you might want to think about that will give a boost to your system is swapping out the spinner system hard drive for an ssd. A Samsung 850 EVO is a good choice.

Think about this as well - do you really need HD? The HD Native card doesn't have dsp - just I/O.

David Lawler 07-02-2018 10:15 AM

Sorry for the confusion:
I have an older MacPro that is running ProTools 8 (not HD) with a Digi002 rack.

I also have a MacPro 2008 with upgraded graphics card, and 32MB memory. This unit is running the El Capitan OS 10.11.6, but does not have an version of ProTools installed at this time.

I want to find the best setup for this machine.
Thanks for all the help..Dave

musicman691 07-02-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lawler (Post 2493099)
Sorry for the confusion:
I have an older MacPro that is running ProTools 8 (not HD) with a Digi002 rack.

I also have a MacPro 2008 with upgraded graphics card, and 32MB memory. This unit is running the El Capitan OS 10.11.6, but does not have an version of ProTools installed at this time.

I want to find the best setup for this machine.
Thanks for all the help..Dave

So you have two separate Mac Pros and the one you want to use is the 2008 one right? What is the exact model of the older one that has PT8 on it now?

As I said you're going to need to do a reinstatement plan to get current with PT as PT8 won't run on El Crapitan. Or you could buy a whole new PT s/w & h/w setup for HD. The best setup depends on what you really need. For example do you really need PT HD? Is it for the amount of I/O? Is it for the low latency? Can't be for the dsp because the HD Native card doesn't have dsp. There are plenty of USB2 interfaces that will give you stellar functionality and as much I/O as the HD setup you're contemplating. It all depends on what you want to spend.

David Lawler 07-02-2018 11:57 AM

Hi Jack. Thanks for the replies.
I think the old machine is actually a Powermac G5.
After a quick search for USB2 audio interfaces, this type of device seems more aligned with what I need/want. I like the simplicity of the Digi002, so I am looking for something similar just more modern. I wasn't aware of the USB interfaces. are there any you recommend over others ?
Thanks,
Dave

musicman691 07-02-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Lawler (Post 2493117)
Hi Jack. Thanks for the replies.
I think the old machine is actually a Powermac G5.
After a quick search for USB2 audio interfaces, this type of device seems more aligned with what I need/want. I like the simplicity of the Digi002, so I am looking for something similar just more modern. I wasn't aware of the USB interfaces. are there any you recommend over others ?
Thanks,
Dave

That answer depends on your budget and I/O needs. High end ones would include but not limited to Lynx Aurora-n https://www.lynxstudio.com/products/aurora-n/ or any of the Antelope ones at https://en.antelopeaudio.com/
or RME here at http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/...w_firewire.php

At a somewhat less expense level there's stuff from MOTU.

Also keep in mind that if you have Firewire 800 ports that's also a viable alternative to USB2 and several of the above interface companies also have FW800 boxes as well (and some do both Firewire & USB in the same box).

If you want some dsp help and have FW800 ports take a look at the UAD Apollo Firewire box.

David Lawler 07-02-2018 01:21 PM

Thanks.
I do have Firewire 800 (2 of them) on this MacPro. I will take a look at the Universal Audio Apollo FireWire unit, which seems to have 5 stars everywhere I look.
Thank you again..