Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   No volume from MIDI interfaces (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352612)

briaboy 03-21-2014 12:34 PM

No volume from MIDI interfaces

Hello,

In Pro Tools 10 (using Mac), I've been recording without problems for a few days, then today I did the following:

As usual, created Aux and Audio tracks. Aux output Bus 1-2, Audio input Bus 1-2. Inserted plug-in instrument on Aux (tried various). Record enabled. MIDI Thru is on.

Plug-in instrument works ok on computer screen, can see and hear it, and it records just fine, BUT no response from MIDI keyboard(s). MIDI set up all appears ok in MIDI and Input drop down menu items, etc.

Any thoughts? Very frustrating!

Thanks,

BB

Craig F 03-21-2014 01:33 PM

Re: No volume from MIDI interfaces

Are you tiring to control/play the VI witht he keuboard or you're wanting the sound of the keyboard in Pro Tools?

albee1952 03-21-2014 04:21 PM

Your VI plugins should be inserted on stereo INSTRUMENT tracks. If you want to hear an external midi sound source, you can set the INSTRUMENT track's audio inputs to the inputs that are fed by the source. In any case, I suggest boning up on how/why to use instrument tracks for midi:o

briaboy 03-21-2014 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe I should have been more detailed: I know that you have to put a VI on an instrument track to hear it in MIDI, but for more than one, you need aux and audio tracks. Here is a screen shot to show one I did previously, and which works perfectly well (attached). The problem is that I can't seem to do this again for some reason.

albee1952 03-22-2014 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briaboy (Post 2142979)
Maybe I should have been more detailed: I know that you have to put a VI on an instrument track to hear it in MIDI, but for more than one, you need aux and audio tracks. Here is a screen shot to show one I did previously, and which works perfectly well (attached). The problem is that I can't seem to do this again for some reason.

Sorry, but the screen shot is too fuzzy to read for me. But to expound on this a bit, you do not need audio or aux tracks to do multiple midi instruments. It calls for proper setup in Setup>Midi>Midi Studio, and proper assignment of controller and midi destinations, and I agree that it can be confusing when dealing with a midi "instrument"(your controller/keyboard), an "instrument" plugin(or "VI"), an "instrument" track, AND "instrument" assignment on the track itself(more on this in a minute).

Not sure what your setup and needs are, so let me lay out what works here when I want to record midi drums(Roland kit feeding SD2), midi piano(Yamaha Motif es8 feeding MiniGrand) and midi organ(midi keyboard feeding DB-33). I have 3 stereo instrument tracks with SD2, MiniGrand and DB-33 inserted. Then go(MIX window) to View>Mix Window Shows>and check "Instruments". This will add a row across the top of the MIX window where you can select what midi source will "play" each of the 3 instrument tracks.(BTW, in Preferences, I have the default midi instrument set to NONE). That trick is to enable record-ready on all the instrument tracks, which is done by holding the Alt key(PC anyway) and clicking the record "button" on any instrument track(holding the Alt key will cause all instrument tracks to be record-enabled). No AUX tracks needed at all, and you only need AUDIO tracks if you wish to commit the plugin VI to audio(and yes, I often do that, especially with SD2, which I split out to separate tracks as if I recorded an acoustic kit). Hope this helps and apologies for the long and winding explanation(trying to cover as many angles as I can):o

briaboy 03-22-2014 07:51 AM

Great, thanks, I'll give this a shot,
cheers,
BB

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2143004)
Sorry, but the screen shot is too fuzzy to read for me. But to expound on this a bit, you do not need audio or aux tracks to do multiple midi instruments. It calls for proper setup in Setup>Midi>Midi Studio, and proper assignment of controller and midi destinations, and I agree that it can be confusing when dealing with a midi "instrument"(your controller/keyboard), an "instrument" plugin(or "VI"), an "instrument" track, AND "instrument" assignment on the track itself(more on this in a minute).

Not sure what your setup and needs are, so let me lay out what works here when I want to record midi drums(Roland kit feeding SD2), midi piano(Yamaha Motif es8 feeding MiniGrand) and midi organ(midi keyboard feeding DB-33). I have 3 stereo instrument tracks with SD2, MiniGrand and DB-33 inserted. Then go(MIX window) to View>Mix Window Shows>and check "Instruments". This will add a row across the top of the MIX window where you can select what midi source will "play" each of the 3 instrument tracks.(BTW, in Preferences, I have the default midi instrument set to NONE). That trick is to enable record-ready on all the instrument tracks, which is done by holding the Alt key(PC anyway) and clicking the record "button" on any instrument track(holding the Alt key will cause all instrument tracks to be record-enabled). No AUX tracks needed at all, and you only need AUDIO tracks if you wish to commit the plugin VI to audio(and yes, I often do that, especially with SD2, which I split out to separate tracks as if I recorded an acoustic kit). Hope this helps and apologies for the long and winding explanation(trying to cover as many angles as I can):o