Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   "ALL" Group Shortcut Problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=344559)

jhkillam 09-15-2013 04:03 PM

"ALL" Group Shortcut Problem

Hi everyone,

I am having a weird issue with something I use rather frequently. In past versions of PT (7.4LE, 8LE, 10) I was able to press SHIFT+1 or basically like how you would type an ! and it would activate the default ALL group, allowing me to manipulate every track as one group.

Since upgrading to 11, this does not work anymore, instead it seems to bypass all plug-ins on whatever tracks are highlighted/selected (name of track with a white background).

I have tried selecting the keyboard focus button in a few different places with no avail. Other tracks that I assign letters to still respond as expected when I press their letter key to activate/deactivate them.

The shortcut still works fine when I load a session in Pro Tools 10.

Anyone use this feature at all? I have done some searching here and across google with no others reporting this problem.

Thanks for any input!

Ryan Young 09-15-2013 04:18 PM

Re: "ALL" Group Shortcut Problem

Not sure that it's purely a Pro Tools 11 issue. Sounds like you want to be in "Group Focus" mode. This is on, by default, when you're in the mix window. If you're in the edit window, you'll need to do the following:
Group Focus Mode: Command+Option+3 (not numeric)
"ALL" Group: Shift+1

If you want to go back to Command Focus:
• Command+Option+1

jhkillam 09-15-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Young (Post 2083345)
Not sure that it's purely a Pro Tools 11 issue. Sounds like you want to be in "Group Focus" mode. This is on, by default, when you're in the mix window. If you're in the edit window, you'll need to do the following:
Group Focus Mode: Command+Option+3 (not numeric)
"ALL" Group: Shift+1

If you want to go back to Command Focus:
• Command+Option+1

For some reason the Group Focus keyboard shortcut doesn't work for me, but I believe you are talking about the same as clicking the AZ button in the group box.

Here is a crude video of them problem.

http://youtu.be/ydMuHmQzmwo

I enable the group focus mode, then run through the four different letters assigned to those groups, then try hitting Shift+1 and it bypasses the plugs on the VOX track that is highlighted. If I CMD+Click on the VOX track to deselect it, Shift+1 does nothing.

Ryan Young 09-15-2013 09:17 PM

Well, looks like you're absolutely right! Sorry to have questioned you. That's a weird one that I haven't come across, yet. What happens when you're in the mix window, with group focus enabled, and shift+1?

jhkillam 09-16-2013 05:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Young (Post 2083405)
Well, looks like you're absolutely right! Sorry to have questioned you. That's a weird one that I haven't come across, yet. What happens when you're in the mix window, with group focus enabled, and shift+1?

When I am in the mix window, the same thing happens.

On a Pro Tools shortcut website, I just found what appears to be a new addition to 11 that was not in 10. See attached photo.

Basically looks like these new plugin management shortcuts take away that <ALL> group shortcut.

bdangler 09-16-2013 08:27 AM

You could use Shift+Command+G to toggle the all group on and off.

jhkillam 09-16-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdangler (Post 2083516)
You could use Shift+Command+G to toggle the all group on and off.

This disables all groups correct?

The ideal state would be I can turn on the all group when I need it with the shortcut, without affecting my other groups. When I am done with the all group, I'd like to be able to just shut it off and have my original groups still active.

Since upgrading to 11, I have just been opening that hide-away left panel that shows the active/inactive tracks and the groups to select and deselect the all group. I prefer to keep that panel closed, which is why I use the shortcuts.

I have tried changing the all group shortcut button to something other than ! (shift+1), doesn't appear to be possible, and also I figured I could create a fake all group where I just make a group that has every track, but I would have to add every new track to that group as well when I make one, which is a pain.

Any other ideas? Maybe it is something that will be adjusted in a future update, like if you are in edit or mix window command focus it will do the bypass plugin shortcut but in the group command focus it will still control the all group.

sjallyn 02-13-2018 11:18 AM

I see nothing in any newer version either and I also like to use that <all> group quick on, quick off without messing up my other group states. Anyone else find a shortcut that works to just turn that <all> group on and off without messing with anything else?

jimbriggs3 06-04-2018 01:06 PM

I'm in the same boat, y'all. Love using the All Group to make selections, but don't want it "on" all the time and don't want to leave command Keyboard Focus mode.

Any ideas?

The Weed 06-04-2018 04:31 PM

Just leave the side bar open and click it on and off.