Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   New Plugin Alliance plugin - SSL? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=400079)

toolz 07-29-2018 10:42 AM

Re: New Plugin Alliance plugin - SSL?

This is the best SSL emulation to date for me, as it works AAX DSP, which is massive as having two HDX cards, things are really packing a punch!!!!!

I'm a 20 year SSL user, and have a 4000 G+ in my studio, so not short of reference points.

Also own Softube Console 1 with 4k and 9k, the workflow is better, but sonically doesn't touch the Brainworx.

My only wish is that the three new SSL products were sold as an SSL bundle, as would of bought it that way.

So just E strip for now, ..and will have to use the real thing for G!

Highly recommend.

simon.a.billington 08-01-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebeatinventor (Post 2493457)
Wow! Maybe Brainworx finally got the endorsement from SSL to put the "Solid State Logic" name on it. I personally like the existing Channel E and G but since SSL has released the Native 6.0 Channelstrip, I know the sound quality and plugin sound cannot be beat. I wonder how much different this new Brainworx SSL E will sound from their Channel E? and hopefully they offer it free of charge to recent owners of the E or G. I couldn't see anyone paying 299.00 for it, when its probably not a super big change.

That's exactly what happened. Apparently, SSL worked with them to put a few more tweaks into the plugin for a much closer emulation.

What I don't get is why the just didn't update the original and put a Legacy mode in it?? It will actually annoy me having both kicking around on my computer since there are only subtle differences between them.

musicman691 08-02-2018 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon.a.billington (Post 2495719)
That's exactly what happened. Apparently, SSL worked with them to put a few more tweaks into the plugin for a much closer emulation.

What I don't get is why the just didn't update the original and put a Legacy mode in it?? It will actually annoy me having both kicking around on my computer since there are only subtle differences between them.

They could have fixed the metering (yeah I'm in the GS thread on this) as well as the issue of the 'return' key on the computer sometimes changing the settings on the strips. Tech support verified the latter bug but no idea when it'll get fixed if at all - sort of like Dirk's response over on GS.

simon.a.billington 08-29-2018 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddy-T (Post 2494935)
That would have been a more 'elegant' approach. I feel kind of stupid for having bought E, G (and N) and now, barely a year later, I have to pay another fifty bucks for an SSL approved update?

Worse still, all that marketing mojo and the Slutz discussions are giving me the feeling my 'old' E & G are now inferior, outdated and worthless.

I can't go for that. No can do. I'm resisting Slutz syndrome and up-date anxiety! Maybe later, let's see what happens with the next voucher...

I did however buy the Townhouse. I like SSL style bus(s) compression and tried the demo in a couple of mixes. Townhouse brings a lovely, unique kind of flavor to the SSL emulations table. The wet/dry control and especially the SC filter are very useful features.

100 €uro bucks with Heavy Hitter discount...

T

Hindsight is 20/20. If only we can see into the future we could make more wise decisions.

Kind of wished I put money on Apple after they released the G5. I was seriously thinking about it then.

Man that’s a regret I won’t ever live down.

musicman691 08-29-2018 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simon.a.billington (Post 2498108)
Hindsight is 20/20. If only we can see into the future we could make more wise decisions.

Kind of wished I put money on Apple after they released the G5. I was seriously thinking about it then.

Man that’s a regret I won’t ever live down.

With the G5 you wouldn't have to have heat in the room in the cold months :p

simon.a.billington 09-16-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2498110)
With the G5 you wouldn't have to have heat in the room in the cold months :p

Haha!!

Apple’s big problem was too much faith in open source. It’s a great idea, but it held back the platform from really developing.

At least the finally got around to designing Metal, though and other standards like ProRes RAW.