Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   HD Native Delay Comp Question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=284934)

Tom Hartman 10-28-2010 05:23 AM

HD Native Delay Comp Question

Couple of dumb questions that I'm not clear on here...

Is the amount of delay comp on Native greater than on HD?

Having been using Logic for awhile, I don't even think about Delay Comp but it seems like in PT there is a lot of manual fiddling required, is Logic doing something different than PT?

Thanks
TH

Drew Mazurek 10-28-2010 05:41 AM

Re: HD Native Delay Comp Question

It's the same, it has to be for session compatibility.

And I've never once "fiddled" with anything in regards to ADC in PTHD.

Tom Hartman 10-28-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmazurek (Post 1687304)
It's the same, it has to be for session compatibility.

And I've never once "fiddled" with anything in regards to ADC in PTHD.

I've never done a session that didn't exceed the DC ability to keep up...to avoid late vocals, etc, I've had to slip....never had to do that in Logic...

drenkrom 10-28-2010 08:09 AM

Logic (and most other serious DAWs) do things differently, indeed. They have unlimited automatic delay compensation, the operative word being "unlimited". Digi has chimed in in the distant past to say they really can't do more because of the TDM architecture. Same goes for offline bouncing and all its derivatives, such as track freeze.

Basically, it's a hack job. It's the best that could be done without changing the fundamentals. I've learned to work around it, but it's still the pebble in my otherwise-comfortable ProTools shoe. You have to keep an eye on that if you're used to a different DAW environment.

mattrussell 10-28-2010 08:47 AM

it's mesmerizing. i have both logic and PT and almost always use PT. there are some really cool built in tools in logic that i keep going to.

since i made the move to HD, i swear the lack of ADC is making my mixing life worse. i dealt with it when i was on LE and for whatever reason, it feels much worse in HD. i know LE has no ADC engine at all, so maybe i'm nuts. i had a system and it worked. i'm seriously considering tracking everything in PT and mixing in logic. i really hope the next major release of PT will address this. it's pitiful and i think we've all made it perfectly clear that we're sick of it.

make the move avid. i know that i'm certainly open to just about whatever it takes to make this work.

Tom Hartman 10-28-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drenkrom (Post 1687341)
Logic (and most other serious DAWs) do things differently, indeed. They have unlimited automatic delay compensation, the operative word being "unlimited". Digi has chimed in in the distant past to say they really can't do more because of the TDM architecture. Same goes for offline bouncing and all its derivatives, such as track freeze.

Basically, it's a hack job. It's the best that could be done without changing the fundamentals. I've learned to work around it, but it's still the pebble in my otherwise-comfortable ProTools shoe. You have to keep an eye on that if you're used to a different DAW environment.

So it is the same in HD Native then....hmm another reason not to give up HD for native...

TH

ekuehnl 10-28-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hartman (Post 1687383)
So it is the same in HD Native then....hmm another reason not to give up HD for native...

TH

Yes, I believe the Short and Long settings are still 1023 and 4095.

pezking 10-28-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattrussell (Post 1687370)
it's mesmerizing. i have both logic and PT and almost always use PT. there are some really cool built in tools in logic that i keep going to.

since i made the move to HD, i swear the lack of ADC is making my mixing life worse. i dealt with it when i was on LE and for whatever reason, it feels much worse in HD. i know LE has no ADC engine at all, so maybe i'm nuts. i had a system and it worked. i'm seriously considering tracking everything in PT and mixing in logic. i really hope the next major release of PT will address this. it's pitiful and i think we've all made it perfectly clear that we're sick of it.

make the move avid. i know that i'm certainly open to just about whatever it takes to make this work.

The LACK of ADC? Do you mean that it is not long enough for you? Have you got it switched on?

I don't mean to sound condescending at all...

Fidelis 10-28-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hartman (Post 1687326)
I've never done a session that didn't exceed the DC ability to keep up...to avoid late vocals, etc, I've had to slip....never had to do that in Logic...

Hello Tom, that's strange. Are you using lots of RTAS on aux? I mix BIG sessions here and NEVER exceed the DC limit in PT.

Some rules:

First you should disable DC on the master track. Don't need that.

Second: As I record to disk (instead of bounce to disk) I also disable DC on my 2-buss aux if I have some RTAS plugin there.

Third: Avoid the following scenario: Send all drum tracks to an aux (drums buss). Insert and RTAS plugin on this buss. Make a send from Drum Buss to another aux (reverb for example) that also has a RTAS plugin there (ex a reverb like Lexicon). So in this case, I either DON'T put any RTAS plugins on my Drum Buss OR (in case I need the RTAS plugins) I use a TDM reverb for the drums (ex. TC's VSS3).

If you follow this rules is almost impossible to exceed this limit.

Oh, and use the LONG delay on playback engine.

Ricardo

Tom Hartman 10-28-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidelis (Post 1687401)
Hello Tom, that's strange. Are you using lots of RTAS on aux? I mix BIG sessions here and NEVER exceed the DC limit in PT.

Some rules:

First you should disable DC on the master track. Don't need that.

Second: As I record to disk (instead of bounce to disk) I also disable DC on my 2-buss aux if I have some RTAS plugin there.

Third: Avoid the following scenario: Send all drum tracks to an aux (drums buss). Insert and RTAS plugin on this buss. Make a send from Drum Buss to another aux (reverb for example) that also has a RTAS plugin there (ex a reverb like Lexicon). So in this case, I either DON'T put any RTAS plugins on my Drum Buss OR (in case I need the RTAS plugins) I use a TDM reverb for the drums (ex. TC's VSS3).

If you follow this rules is almost impossible to exceed this limit.

Oh, and use the LONG delay on playback engine.

Ricardo

Thanks Ricardo, I am new to HD and dealing with this so will try all this, I have been careful to watch RTAS plugs on Auxes, but for some reason some channels still show up in red even without RTAS on them, gotta get the hang of all this. I'm using the short delay to save horsepower because I'm on a lowly HD1 for the moment, saving for HD 2 ;)

TH