Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vocal Mic Bleed (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406587)

adam79 10-04-2019 07:44 AM

Vocal Mic Bleed

How do you guys go about cutting out the guitar bleeding into the vocal mic? Whether I'm recording with an acoustic or electric, I always have to go back and re-record the vocals. That can get frustrating cuz my best performances come out when I'm playing along w the guitar.

Waves makes a plug called Primary Source Expander that seems like it's specifically made for this. I'm gonna demo it, but I'm guessing I already a plug for this that I've just overlooked.

Thanks.

Darryl Ramm 10-04-2019 08:02 AM

Re: Vocal Mic Bleed

A plugin is not where I would be looking.

What vocal mic?

Electric guitar... iso cab, or amp in whole separate room, or cab emulator/direct out box, or just a load/attenuator box to quiet the amp, or guitar amp processor, or plugin... so many choices.

Accoustic guitar... what mics? You can look for more directional ones and/or just live with some level of bleed.

albee1952 10-04-2019 11:33 AM

This is very difficult to do. The best way is with both vocal and guitar being mic'd up with figure 8 pattern microphones and aiming the null of each at the "other" source. My solution is to let the performer do a pass where they sing and play, with a count of some kind. Then I have them do a pass of just playing guitar(while listening to the scratch track). Then I have them sing over the fresh(clean) guitar track.

adam79 10-04-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2540316)
This is very difficult to do. The best way is with both vocal and guitar being mic'd up with figure 8 pattern microphones and aiming the null of each at the "other" source. My solution is to let the performer do a pass where they sing and play, with a count of some kind. Then I have them do a pass of just playing guitar(while listening to the scratch track). Then I have them sing over the fresh(clean) guitar track.

Unfortunately I have a pathetic mic locker.. a pair of MCA SP1's and a sm57.

I also forgot to mention that the electric is going DI, so it's just the guitar itself that I'm contending with; no amp.

Like I mentioned earlier, I always thought a gate fixed this, but no matter how high I set the threshold the guitar remains.

Ben Jenssen 10-05-2019 07:07 AM

Another thing to consider is that compression on the vocal mic is going to make it worse. So don't over-compress the vocal mic.

albee1952 10-05-2019 07:51 AM

Well, it would be cumbersome, but some kind of microphone shield could be placed below the mic to block sound from the guitar. If you're recording yourself, you can probably find a way to make that work(I couldn't do that with a paying client):o