Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Greyed out faders (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407113)

ebjazz 11-11-2019 03:19 PM

Greyed out faders

1 Attachment(s)
I have a session that has greyed-out faders (faded faders??).
Don't know how it got this way. Each fader has an input and output and is active so they should not look this way. I've attached a screen shot.
Everything is fully functional, it just looks like they are inactive.

Emi 11-12-2019 12:19 AM

Re: Greyed out faders

Can be the tracks are disabled.

Can be the output route is not routed in the I/O menu in Busses submenu. Click default to reassign well the internal busses.

JFreak 11-12-2019 07:18 AM

Looks like tracks are routed to Analog 1-2 so it is likely default output and working on other tracks.

Likely tracks are disabled. Take a look at the left pane on mix window. You can re-enable the tracks from there. If if those are not needed now, you can also hide the tracks to help with the clutter.

midnightrambler 11-12-2019 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebjazz (Post 2544243)
I have a session that has greyed-out faders (faded faders??).
Don't know how it got this way. Each fader has an input and output and is active so they should not look this way. I've attached a screen shot.
Everything is fully functional, it just looks like they are inactive.

I've had this too but I can't remember for the life of me what I did to fix it - something to do with the I/O setup, you might have the same physical outputs routed on separate busses or something like that...?

Definitely nothing to do with inactive tracks, as the OP states they look inactive but they're very much active.

ebjazz 11-12-2019 02:25 PM

That's right. they are active and fully functional.
I hit a key or clicked something that has sent me to eternal hell.

albee1952 11-12-2019 05:58 PM

Guessing here because the screen capture shows SOME tracks, or is it showing ALL)? If all tracks are grey, then the output path is invalid. The first guess is that the "audio engine"(Setup>Hardware) is NOT set to your usual interface.

sleepingtiger 11-12-2019 06:31 PM

Check your I/O setup. With my HD Native rig Pro Tools will suddenly deactivate aspects of a working I/O setup. Just happened yesterday. Working on session - saved and closed - opened another session to work on and then when I went back to the original 10 minutes later all the faders were grey and a bunch of paths were "n/a" in the setup. My solution is to re-import the extant setup and then uncheck the n/a paths and then check their new counterparts and then reassign all outputs in the session. Yay Pro Tools!

ebjazz 11-13-2019 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepingtiger (Post 2544365)
Check your I/O setup. With my HD Native rig Pro Tools will suddenly deactivate aspects of a working I/O setup. Just happened yesterday. Working on session - saved and closed - opened another session to work on and then when I went back to the original 10 minutes later all the faders were grey and a bunch of paths were "n/a" in the setup. My solution is to re-import the extant setup and then uncheck the n/a paths and then check their new counterparts and then reassign all outputs in the session. Yay Pro Tools!

So I never mess with this, but this is what it looks like. What do I do now?

sleepingtiger 11-13-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebjazz (Post 2544431)
So I never mess with this, but this is what it looks like. What do I do now?

Check the Bus tab to see if any paths are greyed out. That's what happens on my system.

FWIW, I really don't like the way the newer I/O manager defaults the outputs with the Busses. It's hard to remember now what the old one was like but I'm pretty sure it was easier to choose straightforward paths and it didn't use to randomly bork itself like it does now.

Rich Breen 11-14-2019 07:44 AM

Everyone so far is pointing to I/O or inactive faders, but the OP is saying though that the faders have *active* inputs and outputs and are functional and passing audio, so it's not an I/O issue. I'm curious if the faders behave normally WRT automation? Also curious if there's a control surface involved?

I've never seen this, and can't really imagine what it could be if in fact faders are fully functional, passing audio, automating, etc.