Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Track RENDER (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=246327)

Kon Alexiou 05-18-2009 07:06 AM

Track RENDER

Checked all forums & I can't seem to find and answer to this one...

I have been asked by a recording studio who is going to mix some of my stuff, to 'render' my tracks before I bring them in. All of my tracks regardless of their individual duration, need to start and end at exactly the same point.

The studio uses Nuendo + a PC, and I can't think of any other way around this. Can anyone out there suggest how I might go about 'rendering' my tracks? I've already consolidated them, is rendering somehow related to consolidating tracks?

Thanks.

shareec70 05-18-2009 08:11 AM

Re: Track RENDER

I'm away from the studio right now so my response is conceptual but here's the gist.

Render is basically a consolidated track. BUT, you'll want to make sure you "print" any tracks (record them with your decidedly mandatory effects) that have specific tones you want, ie Eleven, Virtual Instruments, etc. If you have a specific sound you are going after with a plugin they don't have, there would be another reason to ensure you print that track and ensure they get that. Print them by creating an appropriate audio track, set it's input to a bus and then take your original track (instrument or audio) and set it's output to that bus. Enable record on the new audio track, press record and your creative sound will be recorded to the new audio track you created. Don't forget to nudge or fix the delay compensation if needed.

I'd probably then dupe a playlist, select all those tracks, consolidate them again so you ensure you have the same start/end time. Go to the regions list on the right, you will see that your newly consolidated tracks are selected, choose export as wav files, pick a folder and there you go. Your tracks and your must not lose specific "rendered" creations are there. Zip the folder and off you go.

One other thing, this is IMHO. If they are mixing, let them do the mixing. Only print the required FX, instruments, etc. Nothing drives my mix engineer friends more crazy than getting tracks that someone has already compressed, fx'd, etc. Give them your rough mix if you've got a creative vision that you want them to achieve. But, that's what is great about having someone else mix, it's a new perspective and often can bring a creative freshness to the project. Any, my opinion.

That's the gist. Hope I didn't miss a step. I've been in the forum for a couple of years, but just now wrapping my head around enough to maybe feel comfortable to post a few times.

Good Luck!

albee1952 05-18-2009 10:42 AM

Re: Track RENDER

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kon Alexiou (Post 1399586)
Checked all forums & I can't seem to find and answer to this one...

I have been asked by a recording studio who is going to mix some of my stuff, to 'render' my tracks before I bring them in. All of my tracks regardless of their individual duration, need to start and end at exactly the same point.

The studio uses Nuendo + a PC, and I can't think of any other way around this. Can anyone out there suggest how I might go about 'rendering' my tracks? I've already consolidated them, is rendering somehow related to consolidating tracks?

Thanks.

Please see my response to your other post.