Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   PT M-Powered and Windows 10 ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368394)

banjo71 06-01-2015 09:36 PM

PT M-Powered and Windows 10 ?

I have Windows 7 now and running PT M-Powered 8.0.5. I have the chance to upgrade to Windows 10. Will this PT version run on Windows 10?

Craig F 06-02-2015 03:16 AM

run? maybe
ever have an official blessing? not bloody likely

albee1952 06-04-2015 02:08 PM

What he said^^^:D Should you try it? Absolutely! But do yourself a favor and either clone your current system drive(then pull it and install the new clone), or just pull your current drive and install a fresh drive, then load up Windows 10 and give it a go. This way, you have a backup plan:o

mudlake slim 08-31-2015 07:47 AM

Re: PT M-Powered and Windows 10 ?

I'm having the same problem. I upgraded to Windows 10 assuming that my current applications would function. When I tried to start Pro Tools (same version you have) I had already checked the compatibility settings from the menu and selected Windows 7 as my previous version to run under. As soon as I clicked the Pro Tools icon it was kicking the computer in the gut, it went black, shut down the operating system. I had to hold in the power button to reboot. Looked everything over and tested it with the trouble shooter and it failed the same way.

Does anybody know if Avid will provide a fix? I have two older versions of Pro Tools that I paid plenty for and use constantly, now one is out of order. Any help would be appreciated.

JoelG 08-31-2015 08:29 AM

I don't think Avid will be doing any compatibility patches to any version of Pro Tools older than PT10 (and that I don't know about either). If you can't get it running by some hack or tweak, you'll either have to roll back to Windows 7, or look at upgrading to a newer version of Pro Tools (note that Avid haven't qualified Windows 10 for any hardware or software yet).

Joel

mudlake slim 09-01-2015 07:15 PM

I have a feeling you are right and I'm not going to see any fix for these old versions. It's too bad because it worked perfectly fine. I'll look around to see if anybody has found a work around but it's not looking good at this point. Thanks for the input.

JoelG 09-02-2015 05:32 AM

Good luck! I'm not sure how much has really changed from Windows Vista-Windows 10. Personally, I think it is more a GUI upgrade than a kernel up re-write. So you might be able to get it working. I'm running Windows 10, but with Pro Tools 12 (working fine, even though Avid haven't qualified it), using a Windows 7 driver for my interface.

Joel

mudlake slim 09-12-2015 02:41 PM

Received an email from Avid saying they have no plans at this time to change anything to make it work with Windows 10.

I worked with the compatibility settings and each time I tried it the computer was like it was kicked in the head. The screen had some strange black and white streaks and boom, nothing. I had to do the hard reboot with the power switch to bring it back.

One glimmer of better news, the GT Player Express that came with my M-Audio gear will work. Yippee. I can record one track and play it back.

Over $500.00 wasted on Pro Tools software.

Well played, Avid...well played.

JoelG 09-12-2015 03:31 PM

Pro Tools 8 came out almost 8 years ago, and is 4 versions back.

Joel

Bob Olhsson 09-12-2015 04:42 PM

Running all of the installers and sometimes Pro Tools in windows 7 compatibility mode will most likely work.