Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Licensing & Accounts (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Very Concerned !!!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=363642)

Panacci 01-26-2015 01:57 PM

Very Concerned !!!!!

I was have been a DP user for years. I started with PT/Digi 001 when clients brought PT projects to me. I had to pay thru the nose for features in PT. I sucked it up and played their game. When PT 11 came out I was very excited. I still use DP and PT for different things. I teach at a jazz college in Toronto and starting at a private music school digital recording and I always tell the students to consider PT because it is the industry standard. But if this pricing thing becomes another cash grab for the company, I will not be recommending PT for students. I will stay on PT 11 and shifting more back to DP. I am waiting to see and hear from users and Avid to see how all this plays out in the next few months. A concerned citizan !!!!!

Bob Olhsson 01-26-2015 02:05 PM

Re: Very Concerned !!!!!

There are significant student discounts.

I don't think you'd be doing students a favor because I've never heard of anybody getting a job running somebody's DP rig. Great for DIY production but not for people seeking entry level employment.

Craig F 01-26-2015 02:26 PM

about the same for LA, other than a few composers and the occasional CL post looking for someone to do post sound on a film in Logic, it's a Pro Tools town

DetroitT 01-26-2015 03:37 PM

The new First free program was a nice surprise anouncement. Greatly enables.

dr_daw 01-26-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitT (Post 2226041)
The new First free program was a nice surprise anouncement. Greatly enables.

Just to be sure, I would look at the limits of the 'free' version. From what I, and that's a capital I, understood there are export/import limitations to the free version. From what I saw, you are not able to open or import audio from the free version into the a paid version.

So this limits students from using this software in that capacity. Imagine the revenue lost; tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of students in colleges/universities could use Pro TOols for FREE!

I don't disagree with the other posters, I went to a private audio school in Toronto. If I didn't learn Pro TOols there, I'd still be in the dark. I may not support the new model (although I do own a support license, as well as an actual PT 10 license), but I do support the industry standard. I would never roll over to DP, but Cubase/Nuendo...absolutely. I will always have some version of Pro Tools just in case I need to step into that roll.

Clients don't know what's going on with Avid, and facilities have thousands to hundreds of thousands invested in Pro Tools. Things aren't going to change any time soon. They may change, but not for at least a few years.

xylie6 01-27-2015 04:45 AM

Panacci,

You have good cause to be concerned. Many of us think the whole cloud feature is, like you said, another cash grabbing tactic by avid. It may well be a survival thing for them trying to get recurring revenue instead of the traditional- buy the software and done.

I would bet most recording engineers would agree that the best recordings are when a good band lay it down together. Not sending it to another city to do the bass line. But who knows, buying one song at a time on iTunes is a huge cash cow for Apple. It may end up being a fun thing for us stay at home musicians also, which is the whole point for most of us. Time will tell.