Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Best Video File Format for PT (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=261443)

GrantFM 12-14-2009 10:23 AM

Best Video File Format for PT

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers of what the best (i.e. highest quality/ resolution) video file format and resolution for movie files to be imported into Pro Tools. In my experience, files (.mov, .mpeg, etc..) are being used more and more for "mix to pic" in advertising post, though a lot of the files I get are of a crappy quality and pixelate a ton. I would just like to be able to recommend a quality file format to the film editors to export so that when I have clients in the room, it looks professional.

Any advice ?
Thanks in advance !

Craig F 12-14-2009 10:28 AM

Re: Best Video File Format for PT

.mov is not a format, it is a generic extension that means movie file
inter-frame codecs (dv, photo-jpeg)work better that intra-frame codecs (h264, mp4)
quality has a relationship to how much processing power you can take from Pro Tools and give to image rendering

GrantFM 12-14-2009 01:28 PM

Craig, thanks for your reply, but actually .mov is a file format (Quicktime). Mpeg is more of a generic term, IIRC. Also, DV also is an intraframe codec, I believe.
Lastly, if quality of the picture in PT has a direct relationship to processing power allocated to image rendering, where do you adjust this ?

infiniteloop 12-14-2009 01:34 PM

.mov is a not a file format, it's a container. The file within can be one of many, many codecs within the .mov container. There are an awful lot of threads in this forum about what works best - have a search.

Dallas Taylor 12-14-2009 01:38 PM

I use DV. Looks great & plays well with Pro Tools. con: It's huge.

If you're Editor is local, it shouldn't be a problem.

However, if you're working over FTP, DV will be way too big.

Even if I receive an H.264 via FTP, I export it to DV before importing it into the session.

danijel 12-14-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantFM (Post 1512750)
files (.mov, .mpeg, etc..)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig F (Post 1512752)
.mov is not a format, it is a generic extension that means movie file

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantFM (Post 1512824)
.mov is a file format (Quicktime).

Quote:

Originally Posted by infiniteloop (Post 1512827)
.mov is a not a file format, it's a container.

Gentleman, I am impressed by the amount of correct information used in this discussion:
YES - ".mov" IS a file, a format, a generic extension, a container, it means "a movie file".

We should write Webster to include these fine definitions in its thesaurus!

slipdiskdave 12-14-2009 02:26 PM

I actually find MP4 and h.264 to be the best formats. I agree with Dallas that DV is awesome, but is often too big for the remote stuff we work on. The thing to remember, is that Data Rate plays a larger part in how sluggish PT will react to the MOV, more so than actual resolution size. For example, an MP4 at 1920x1080 with a fixed data rate of 1000 will play much faster than an MP4 at 640x360 with a fixed data rate of 5000. When encoding an h.264, the default setting for data rate is usually "Automatic" which uses the highest manageable data rate at given point. Great for the video; bad for PT.

Whenever I get a squirrelly QT, I usually convert it in QT Pro to a 640x360 (640x480 for SD) MP4, with a data rate of about 1000, and a quality of High. Gives me enough resolution to see what's going on, but small enough for PT not to freak out. Your playback will also vary depending on your computer.

Best of Luck!

koo_koo_bonkers 12-14-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipdiskdave (Post 1512847)
Data Rate plays a larger part in how sluggish PT will react to the MOV, more so than actual resolution size.

Great tip.. When transcoding from AVI/Fraps codec to .mov DV I'm wondering if its possible to make DV "look better", even better than using the "High Quality" button in QT. Can I set the quality to high or the date rate higher too ? I use Quicktime 7 and / or Mpeg streamclip to encode video.

thanks

Craig F 12-14-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipdiskdave (Post 1512847)
I actually find MP4 and h.264 to be the best formats.

I must disagree. Try scrubbing backwards with one of these and watch the jerk and shake.

slipdiskdave 12-14-2009 07:25 PM

I totally agree, Craig. They are definitely not the best looking codecs. Let me qualify my previous statement: they are the best codecs for ME and the way I work, due to their usable, if not perfect visuals, and most importantly, small size, since in my line of work, that MOV is going to be FTP'd or e-mailed back and forth at least 6-8 times a day during the approval process. Thanks for letting me clarify!