Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   HD OMNI optical inputs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404231)

jgiannis 04-25-2019 03:52 PM

HD OMNI optical inputs

The HD OMNI has 2 optical inputs on the back.

I have the TV plugged into one.
I have the computer plugged into the other.

The TV works. The computer doesn't. When I swap the cables, the computer works, and the TV doesn't.

Is there something I'm missing, or does this sound like a broken input?

Also, on the front of the OMNI, I'll select "IN" on the meters. 5-6-7-8 all seem to have the same input. I was hoping that one of the optical inputs would play through 5-6, and the other would play through 7-8. But it looks like only 1 of the 2 inputs is working, and it outputs to 4 channels.

Any tips on routing this thing?

BScout 04-25-2019 07:19 PM

Re: HD OMNI optical inputs

Right in the manual:

Quote:

Optical (S/PDIF)
Either set of Optical I/O ports can also be used for two-channel Optical S/PDIF input and out- put with support for sample rates up to 96 kHz. HD OMNI can receive two channels of Optical S/PDIF when operating at sample rates of 176.4
and 192kHz, but sample rate conversion (SRC) is automatically enabled for this feature. The Opti- cal (S/PDIF) option can be selected in the
Pro Tools Hardware Setup dialog.
Using Optical S/PDIF (which is what TVs use) you only get 2 channels.

You only get 8 channels with ADAT. In S/MUX 2 or 4, the second ADAT is used. But you aren't using ADAT protocol in the first place.

jgiannis 04-26-2019 11:24 AM

Yeah I saw that part of the manual but its no help.

When I plug the TV into the left port, it works (while the other port is empty). When I plug the TV into the right port, it doesn't (again, while the other port is empty).

Ideally, the TV (or any compatible source) would work in either port. And ideally, I would have 2 sources, one in each port.

The more I think about it, the more im convinced that I have a busted port. I just hate to admit it.

Top Jimmy 04-26-2019 01:36 PM

I've not used the Omni but for both ports to be usable, there would have to be 2 stereo S/PDIF paths configurable in the hardware setup. If there's only 1, then only 1 port is usable and the manual is unclear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BScout 04-26-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2523210)
I've not used the Omni but for both ports to be usable, there would have to be 2 stereo S/PDIF paths configurable in the hardware setup. If there's only 1, then only 1 port is usable and the manual is unclear.

There is only one. (what I was trying to point out earlier)

The lack of clarity is "either" in the manual but it should actually only be port 1.

albee1952 04-26-2019 01:40 PM

In addition to other comments, are you aware that the OMNI can only USE 8 IO at a time?

Top Jimmy 04-26-2019 01:45 PM

HD OMNI optical inputs

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2523212)
There is only one. (what I was trying to point out earlier)

The lack of clarity is "either" in the manual but it should actually only be port 1.

Yep, I understood that. Just trying to help the OP put 2+2 together and not conclude that his interface is faulty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jgiannis 04-26-2019 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of my Hardware Setup.

And here's what's happening:

left port (while the right port is empty):
- I plug in the TV. It works.
- I plug in the computer. It works.
(In both of these situations, on my VU meter, channels 5-6-7-8 are working when "IN" is selected).

right port (while the left port is empty):
- I plug in the TV. It does not work.
- I plug in the computer. It does not work.
(In both of these situations, on my VU meter, channels 5-6-7-8 are NOT working when "IN" is selected).

jjnssn 04-26-2019 03:39 PM

HD OMNI optical inputs

Do you have a screen shot of the mixer you can share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Jimmy 04-26-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgiannis (Post 2523223)
Here's a pic of my Hardware Setup.

And here's what's happening:

left port (while the right port is empty):
- I plug in the TV. It works.
- I plug in the computer. It works.
(In both of these situations, on my VU meter, channels 5-6-7-8 are working when "IN" is selected).

right port (while the left port is empty):
- I plug in the TV. It does not work.
- I plug in the computer. It does not work.
(In both of these situations, on my VU meter, channels 5-6-7-8 are NOT working when "IN" is selected).

In your picture, you have the same input selected for channels 5-6 and 7-8. If there’s a 2nd S/PDIF available, it has to be selected in one of the input pairs.