Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How do you transfer ADAT tapes to a Pro Tools 8.0 session (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=250216)

jtknight 07-17-2009 07:37 AM

How do you transfer ADAT tapes to a Pro Tools 8.0 session

Hi,

I am currently using Pro Tools 8.0, Digi 002, MOTU AV USB, ADAt XT-20 and MAC OSX Leopard.

I am looking to transfer 3 ADAT tapes (songs consisting of 24 tracks) to a Pro Tools session using one ADAT machine. I can't seem to find any instructions on how to do this using the above gear. Anyone have step by step instructions for this?

Should I also be aware of the bit and sample rates while transfering?

Thanks,
John

sunburst79 07-17-2009 08:39 AM

Re: How do you transfer ADAT tapes to a Pro Tools 8.0 session

Before my time but spkguitar is hip on this. I think you need something like a JL Cooper Datasync to pull it off. You can certainly import the session 8 tracks at a time but you might have to adjust the alignment.

BradLyons 07-17-2009 08:56 AM

Actually, you don't need a Datasync II as the MTPAV has ADAT Sync built right in. In PT, create (8) tracks, assign inputs to being ADAT 1-8, then duplicate those tracks so that you have another 16-tracks that are already setup as ADAT 1-8 INPUT.

1. Verify that the sample rate for ProTools and the MTPAV are the same.
a) In ProTools, sample rate is determined when you create a new Session. The Digi002 hardware will display current sample rate.
b) On the MTPAV, use the Window dial to turn to the Sync page. Sample rate will be displayed at the lower right (e.g. 48000). Use the Cursor and Value knob to adjust the sample rate.
c) Most importantly, ProTools and the MTPAV should have the same sample rate as the ADAT tapes your using. Conventional ADAT tape machines operate at 44.1k or 48k.

2. With the MTPAV already connected to your computer, connect the 9-pin ADAT sync OUT of the MTPAV to the sync IN on your ADAT machine. It is recommended that you make this connection while MTPAV and ADATs are OFF, then turn on the MTPAV before ADAT. This will allow the ADATs to detect a master and go into slave mode automatically.

2. Connect optical OUT of your ADAT to the optical IN on your Digi002 (you may connect 002 out to ADAT in as well if needed).

3. In ProTools, go to the SETUP menu and select HARDWARE. There, set Digital Input to "RCA = S/PDIF, Optical = ADAT." Next, set the Clock Source to ADAT.

4. Next in ProTools, you'll want to visit SETUP menu > Peripherals.
a) On the Synchronization page, set Device = Generic MTC Reader, and Port = MIDI timepiece AV, Sync port.
b) On the Machine Control page of Peripherals window, click ENABLE and set Send to = MIDI timepiece AV, all cables. ID = 127.

5. Open the Session Setup menu in ProTools by going to SETUP menu "Session."
a) Set the SESSION START to match the start time of audio on your ADAT tape (TIP, make it a few seconds early) by clicking a field, typing numbers and using the ENTER key (not RETURN) on your computer keyboard.
b) Set "Time Code Rate" to 30 fps. This the default frame rate for the MTPAV, but you you can use a different rate if need. Just be sure ProTools and the MTPAV are the same.
c) keep the Session Setup window open, at least enough to see the "current time" display.

6. One you have a ProTools session ready and an ADAT tape ready, enable "slave to external" in ProTools by pressing the clock icon on the far left of the ProTools transport.
When you hit PLAY in ProTools, watch for the MTPAV "Tach" light to start blinking. Also watch for ADAT machines to engage and start playing. Finally, watch for ProTools' Edit Window (bottom-left) to change from "waiting for sync" to "in sync" and for ProTool tools to start playing. Note that because ADAT tapes may take a few seconds to cue up and play, this process may take several seconds.

I hope that helps, it should work just fine.

Keybeeetsss 07-17-2009 09:23 AM

^^^^^^ yeahppp... If u get this wrong John after Brad's extensive tutorial u may wanna just not do anything:D (j/k)

Hey Scott:D

sunburst79 07-17-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss (Post 1427012)
^^^^^^ yeahppp... If u get this wrong John after Brad's extensive tutorial u may wanna just not do anything:D (j/k)

Hey Scott:D

Nice tutorial on Brads part. I'm not that familier with the Motu unit. I'm assuming that one could simply repeat the process 2 more times to import the rest of the tracks in groups of eight? and that all 24 tracks will be in proper sync once the import is done? Good to know.

Hey Marque:D

BradLyons 07-17-2009 01:01 PM

yep

nedorama 07-17-2009 01:37 PM

just so I am clear, you could do the same with just connecting the ADAT to the 002 without the MTPAV, correct? may have a similar need down the road.

lwilliam 07-17-2009 01:52 PM

Two key elements:

1. Sync from the ADAT for clock and sample rate, not internal
2. If you don't use something like the MTPA/V, then you should try to record a 2-pop tone (2 sine wave or pink noise bursts will work just fine) at the beginning of each of the 24 tracks - or at least each tape - so that you can manually align them once they're in Protools.

Sometimes you can use a vocal count-off or other source (like a snare or hihat pickup note) on each tape to align the tracks later, but a nice clean pulse at the beginning is much easier.

sunburst79 07-17-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nedorama (Post 1427141)
just so I am clear, you could do the same with just connecting the ADAT to the 002 without the MTPAV, correct? may have a similar need down the road.

Well yes...If your only importing 8 tracks or less via ADAT. Anything more than that needs some type of synchronization since you can only import 8 tracks at a a time via ADAT into PTLE.

jtknight 07-20-2009 12:57 PM

Hi Brad,

Thank you very much for the instructions! I will be able test it out by the end of the week. One last question, do I have to enable the record button on each track before I hit "PLAY"?

John