Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Why this recorded 32 bit audio's waveform is strange (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401088)

Rockman413 09-15-2018 03:43 PM

Why this recorded 32 bit audio's waveform is strange

1 Attachment(s)
Project is in 32 bit depth. I turn the 1st audio all the way up +36db and record into the 2nd audio track, and that "Audio 1_03-01" is the recorded 32 bit audio. I clip gain -32.9, and play it back, it does not clipping or distorted thanks to the 32 bit audio. But why the waveform, left and right is identical? Even the meter shows left and right and different and always changing like a normal stereo file.

AlexLakis 09-15-2018 04:34 PM

Re: Why this recorded 32 bit audio's waveform is strange

Just curious, what exactly is it you're trying to accomplish?

I don't mean just in this thread. I mean in the grand scheme of things.

Do you record your own music? Other people's music? Are you in school for this stuff?

Inquiring minds want to know.

BScout 09-16-2018 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockman413 (Post 2499909)
Project is in 32 bit depth. I turn the 1st audio all the way up +36db and record into the 2nd audio track, and that "Audio 1_03-01" is the recorded 32 bit audio. I clip gain -32.9, and play it back, it does not clipping or distorted thanks to the 32 bit audio. But why the waveform, left and right is identical? Even the meter shows left and right and different and always changing like a normal stereo file.

I take it you don't understand what zoom is or threshold?
Take a piece of paper and put a dot on it. Then draw some loops around the outside of the dot.
Move the paper close enough to your eye so all you see is the center dot.
Where do you think the loops went? Did they disappear? Or are you just so zoomed in that you can't see the outer loops anymore?

Rockman413 09-16-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2499940)
I take it you don't understand what zoom is or threshold?
Take a piece of paper and put a dot on it. Then draw some loops around the outside of the dot.
Move the paper close enough to your eye so all you see is the center dot.
Where do you think the loops went? Did they disappear? Or are you just so zoomed in that you can't see the outer loops anymore?

Of course I understand the zoom. What I mentioned only applys to 32 bit audio and even it's been clipped gain - so much and the volume is low and it's still looks like a thresolded one. Open your pro tools and do an expriment so you'll be the same page with me.

amagras 09-16-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockman413 (Post 2499953)
Of course I understand the zoom. What I mentioned only applys to 32 bit audio and even it's been clipped gain - so much and the volume is low and it's still looks like a thresolded one. Open your pro tools and do an expriment so you'll be the same page with me.

I think what B meant was that the your tracks have been visually zoomed, that has nothing to do with audio, its just to help you see the representation of the audio.

Can you try explaining yourself again more clearly? We are having trouble here understanding what you are after.