Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   What is missing: First - ??? - Ultimate (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398505)

EdgarRothermich 04-08-2018 04:43 PM

What is missing: First - ??? - Ultimate

Does Avid really think that the new naming system is a good idea? If you have three versions of a product, then you better come up with three names. For example "BrandX Light", "BrandX Medium", "BrandX Advanced". When you talk or write about BrandX, everybody knows what version you referring to by using the proper name.

If one of the version is just called "BrandX" and the other two versions have a suffix, then it is just confusion, because you never know which version someone is referring to. Are you sure they referring to the one version without the suffix or they just did not mention the suffix and you refer to just the product?

Did Avid realize that they had the problem before? Why do people use the name "Pro Tools Vanilla" or "Pro Tools Standard". Just to have a unique name that refers to that specific Pro Tools version (and not HD or First).

http://DingDingMusic.com/files/WebFi...olsVersion.png

Now is renaming their products and still don't address that issues. I don't get it. Who is responsible for those decisions. What geniuses run their marketing department.

Now in every conversation about Pro Tools (or the other products), you have to still have to use the term unofficial term "Pro Tools Standard" or "Pro Tools Vanilla" to make sure if you refer to the "non-First" and "non-Ultimate" version.

amagras 04-08-2018 05:14 PM

Re: What is missing: First - ??? - Ultimate

I vote for Pro Tools | Home Edition, it doesn't bother me because I'm already on Windows and working from home :)

64GTOBOY 04-08-2018 05:21 PM

First. Native. Ultimate. The Pro Tools part is sorta implied.

LDS 04-08-2018 05:25 PM

Pro Tools First, Pro Tools Studio & Pro Tools Ultimate?

maltastudio 04-08-2018 10:52 PM

I Like LDS Naming I vote for that.
Peace

musicman691 04-09-2018 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maltastudio (Post 2483854)
I Like LDS Naming I vote for that.
Peace

:confused:
Unofficial names never bothered me as long as it's clear what is being referred to. The thing is Pro Tools has become a generic name for the program like for adhesive tape (where people pretty much refer to any such product as Scotch tape even though it may not be made by 3M Company). It also conveys that it belongs to a family of programs. A lot of the ongoing problem would be having everyone use the same nomenclature and that isn't going to happen. Think of it this way - when one says 'Mac Pro' people pretty much understand which model you're referring to when you add the modifier words 'trashcan', 'iTrashcan' and cheesegrater. Who really keeps up with the official Apple reference using the year?

I think the name Pro Tools Ultimate is a Forrest Gumpian name - stupid is as stupid does. For some it might not be the ultimate PT version especially if you don't need or want all the tools available in that version. But then how do you name something so that it's not condescending to those who use a specific version? Do you call it PT Moe, Larry and Curly :rolleyes:?

I wish I had a set of names that would work but like I said: the trick is getting everyone to use those same names.

Prabha 04-09-2018 06:41 AM

come on guys! go and make music instead.....

noiseboyuk 04-09-2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDS (Post 2483822)
Pro Tools First, Pro Tools Studio & Pro Tools Ultimate?

Ah no no no, the branding has to work across Media Composer and Sibelius too. It's all about branding branding branding.

I've got it. Pro Tools | Penultimate.

daeron80 04-09-2018 08:08 AM

Pro Tools Try-it-before-u-buy-it
Pro Tools Crippled
Pro Tools Gimme-all-ur-money

john1192 04-09-2018 08:39 AM

no names at all ... just numbers ..

PT First
PT Second
PT Third

:eek:

or exactly what Avid had in mind ... !!!

Pro Tools First
Pro Tools
Pro Tools Ultimate