Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   The Drum Room (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Preamp for drum recording? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=382586)

secutanudu 07-14-2016 06:07 AM

Preamp for drum recording?

Hey guys,

I am currently using an focusrite saffire pro 26 recording interface. I want to make a serious upgrade. I am thinking of a Lynx Aurora 16 AD-DA converter and dedicated preamps.

Since i"ll need upwards of 14 inputs, I am looking for recommendations on the most cost effective preamps I can buy for tracking drums, guitars and vox. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

YYR123 07-14-2016 07:06 AM

Re: Preamp for drum recording?

Nothing wrong with the Saffire 40 range of pre's imo

It's not a neve or API but it don't sound bad, and I believe it sounds better than the Behringer ADA8000's

Since cost was mentioned this would be my recommendation

Audient would be a step up from them but not huge amounts of money to move up in audio quality

YYR123 07-14-2016 07:07 AM

Midas has a XL48 or something that supposedly sounds good, but I've never tried it..

secutanudu 07-14-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2369768)
Nothing wrong with the Saffire 40 range of pre's imo

It's not a neve or API but it don't sound bad, and I believe it sounds better than the Behringer ADA8000's

Since cost was mentioned this would be my recommendation

Audient would be a step up from them but not huge amounts of money to move up in audio quality

So while I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, I don't mind spending more for a better sound. I can't afford 16 Neve pre's, but I dont mind getting one or for key things like vox, kick, snare, etc.

secutanudu 07-14-2016 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2369769)
Midas has a XL48 or something that supposedly sounds good, but I've never tried it..

Interesting. Ideally I'm looking for all analog gear since i'll have the Lynx converter. I do see that the midas has analog out though, i assume it bypasses the built-in A/D converter?

YYR123 07-14-2016 08:32 AM

Yep....looks like it would. But again I repeat I do not own one.

I've owned and used both the Saffire range of pre's along with the ADA8000.

For me AES outs are awesome- free's up some of my analog inputs....but everyone's setup is different

albee1952 07-14-2016 04:00 PM

As an owner of the Midas XL48, I highly recommend it for at least 2 reasons.
#1-it has lightpipe out so its a great match for your setup.
#2-it sounds head and shoulders better than the focusrite on drums(I also have an OctoPre Mk II Dynamic in my rack). I tested against the Neve and API clones I have(and love on certain things) and the XL48 won handily:D

http://savetheworldband.com/watch-th...deo-for-bleed/
This is my house Mothertone kit with all the shells thru the Midas. Overheads, hat and ride are thru an ISA-428. Mics are also important and this recording was:
Kick in-Audix D6
Kick out-custom sub-kick
Snare top-Shure Beta56
Snare bottom-EV n/d408
Hat-AT3031
Rack-Audix D6
Floor-Miktek PM11
Ride-Shure SM81 under
Overheads-Miktek C1 pair

secutanudu 07-14-2016 04:56 PM

Thanks Albee. Keep in mind though I won't need light pipe out since I'll be ditching the foxusrite interface and going for a Lynx converter. Would you still recommend it?

I assume the analog outputs bypass the converter inside the Midas?

YYR123 07-14-2016 06:59 PM

The Lynx should be expandable as well, so if you wanted to in the future you utilize the adat and or the AES

Cool thing I read about this unit that I didn't pay attention to at first was the word clock in/out so you can sync all your outboard and still run your Lynx as master....

B/c the audient only has word clock out....

albee1952 07-15-2016 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secutanudu (Post 2369885)
Thanks Albee. Keep in mind though I won't need light pipe out since I'll be ditching the foxusrite interface and going for a Lynx converter. Would you still recommend it?

I assume the analog outputs bypass the converter inside the Midas?

Yes I would . I was still thinking re the saffire but the Midas also has analog and AES outs, and even has a split analog out before the pres(though you would have no use for that)