Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   can this be done? (renumbering bars within sub beats) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=293324)

Dingo90 01-28-2011 01:57 PM

can this be done? (renumbering bars within sub beats)

I can only find ways to renumber my bars on the beat, but not in between sub beats.

If for some reason I want to change my current session's bar 9, beat 2 sub beat 142 as the session's new Bar 1, beat 1, can this be done?

BaileyBass 01-28-2011 04:59 PM

Re: can this be done? (renumbering bars within sub beats)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingo90 (Post 1743883)
I can only find ways to renumber my bars on the beat, but not in between sub beats.

If for some reason I want to change my current session's bar 9, beat 2 sub beat 142 as the session's new Bar 1, beat 1, can this be done?

If I understand your question, yes it can be done.
1. Change all tracks to sample based (not tick).
2. put the cursor exactly where you want the new Bar 1.
3. Command-i
4. In the dialog for bar number type in 1
5. Hit enter.. and song start will change to there.
6. change all the tracks that you changed from Tick to Samples back.

(If you do not change tick based tracks to samples, those regions will move with the new location) SB

slater05 01-28-2011 06:32 PM

That should work. But you could also go to Event -> Time operations -> Move song start, but I'm not sure it it lets you get specific enough for sub beats

BaileyBass 01-28-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slater05 (Post 1743972)
but I'm not sure it it lets you get specific enough for sub beats

Exactly...Unfortunately that route "rounds" it to the nearest bar... That would be possible if one used "insert time" to move the beginning of the session over enough so the sub-beat point that the OP wanted to renumber fell on the beginning of a bar.

Dingo90 01-28-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slater05 (Post 1743972)
That should work. But you could also go to Event -> Time operations -> Move song start, but I'm not sure it it lets you get specific enough for sub beats

Hey, Mike,

this worked, thanks!

BaileyBass 01-29-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingo90 (Post 1744054)
Hey, Mike,

this worked, thanks!

Just curious, but did it move your start "close" to where you wanted it, or exactly? If you look closely using undo/redo you might see it. Were you given a Bars/Beats/Subdivision option in that dialogue?

I was going from memory in my suggestion above, but maybe PT9 now has that "sub bar" functionality. ( it definitely did not before) That would be great. SB

Dingo90 01-29-2011 12:09 PM

hey, Bailey,

it moved the start exactly where I need within the sub beat.

BaileyBass 01-29-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingo90 (Post 1744309)
hey, Bailey,

it moved the start exactly where I need within the sub beat.

Great. I think you got lucky. PT9 still only allows for a "bar" resolution using that window, and evidently the bar fell right where you need it. For very specific renaming of Song start, the only way I have found to land in sub-beats is the method I described. I tested on my PT9 rig, all is as I thought. sb

Dingo90 01-29-2011 02:04 PM

yes, but all I had to do was switch to timecode as timebase in that window and then enter the exact timecode and viola! :D

slater05 01-29-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingo90 (Post 1744381)
yes, but all I had to do was switch to timecode as timebase in that window and then enter the exact timecode and viola! :D

You cheeky monkey haha that's clever