Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Installing Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=314052)

tommytic 12-21-2011 08:52 AM

Installing Pro Tools 10

Hey guys new to Pro tools got a copy of Pro Tools 9 student edition about two and half weeks and it is simply awesome. I knew when buying it I would get 4 years of free upgrades (A key reason I bought PT9 Student Edition). A day after i registered and installed PT9 and it was running great I got an email from avid for my free upgrade to PT10. I downloaded the license to my ilok, but i have been reluctant to update and install PT10. Can someone please give me a step by step installation process so I can make sure this go as smoothly as possible. I know how picky these things can be and i wanna make sure i dont miss any steps. Thanks!

promixr 12-21-2011 09:43 AM

Re: Installing Pro Tools 10

You basically do the same thing you did with Pro Tools 9...

tonepad 12-21-2011 06:17 PM

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie...don't haze the young buck. I think it's a fair question that requires a bit more than your response. How do you know what he did when he upped to 9. And the DUC is full of conflicting info. Heck I have the demo and a clone drive but I don't exactly know if 10 will upgrade/update 9! Help the community out with a bit more of what you know. And you know how nasty this Avid website is to search...it is like a Madman's attic.

THX, brother.

algy 12-21-2011 06:27 PM

Having just upgraded to PT 10 I think the biggest issue for someone is getting the ilok registration right.

Before you do anything check out the ilok page and make yourself familiar with the process.

Algy

tommytic 12-21-2011 06:58 PM

I have the license on my ilok just gotta know the steps i should take to install PT10 now

promixr 12-22-2011 07:03 AM

lol : )

Sometimes my 'matter of fact' posting style does not translate well to the forum...

Sorry if my post came off as 'hazing' - I was really just trying to let the OP know that the installation is not any different from 9 - basically download and install. In fact, the registration and iLok authorization is the hardest part!

Here ya go (and this is found in the 'Pro Tools Installation' pdf in the Pro Tools 10 Documentation...)

Download the Pro Tools installer online.
Do one of the following:
• On Mac, locate and double-click Install Pro Tools.mpkg.

On Windows, do one of the following:

• If Windows AutoRun is enabled, a mini-browser appears. Select Install Pro Tools to begin
installation.
– or –
• If Windows AutoRun is disabled, locate and double-click Setup.exe. Then, in the resultant
mini-browser, select Install Pro Tools to begin installation.

4 Follow the on-screen instructions to continue with installation.
5 At the Installation Type page, do one of the following:
• To install all Pro Tools application files and free plug-in suites (and associated content),
leave the default Installation options selected and click Continue.
– or –
• Select (or deselect) a custom configuration of Installation options (see “Installation Options”
on page 9) and click Continue.
6 Click Install.
7 If prompted, enter your Administrator password and click OK to authenticate the
installation.
8 Follow the remaining on-screen instructions.
9 When installation is complete, click Restart (Mac) or Finish (Windows).

The main thing is to take your time, and read the on screen instructions. Also it would really help to download and peruse the documentation found here: http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=419211

lennieh 12-22-2011 07:38 AM

You'll have to uninstall 9 first via Windows Control Panel/Programs & Features...

tommytic 12-22-2011 02:05 PM

Thanks for the help guys appreciate it. Might just go ahead and install it. Im just weary because i dont want any issues since PT9 is running flawlessly on my comp right now. ::eek:

Space Firebird 12-22-2011 05:09 PM

I didn't have much trouble upgrading from 8 LE to 10.
I suggest uninstall everything and start fresh.
Uninstall your plugins too, before you install PT 10.
It helped me to get Strike working right with the new software.

Bill

tonepad 12-22-2011 10:44 PM

That's better Eddie ;)....however I think it's still a bit hazy as to whether 10 can Update over 9? I have a PC clone drive going that is a solid 905 install. Is everyone saying to uninstall 9 first and then do a clean install of 10? Of course I probly did that when I went from 8 to 9...but I forget. I have some colleagues who have gone to 10 but on a Mac and for our Audio Post work. It was a bit uglier than I wish to deal with at the moment. They like what 10 brings to us Posties.
My main interest for now is trying 10 on my separate WIn7 Sandbox rig for MX creation, but damn it's taken me a long time to get 9 solid, which it is so I have to brace myself to try 10...of course that's what the clone is for i guess.
I'm halfway thru a TV season so switching to 10 for that work es no bueno...esp since my Mac HD/902 is rock solid...ain't broke so...you know the saying.