Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   C|24 vs D-Command w/ fader expansion pack (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405286)

ToneSetter 06-19-2019 08:55 AM

C|24 vs D-Command w/ fader expansion pack

I currently use a Pro Control and fader expansion pack with Pro Tools 10 and I would really like to use the new Pro Tools but I don't think Neyrincks V-Control is for me cause I want full use out of my control surface (not a crippled version). I'm thinking about getting a C|24 (not the control24) or an original D-Command with a fader expansion pack cause I really want 24 channels. Looking around I see I can get either for about the same price used. Which would you guys go for if you could get either? And a few good reasons if possible :D Thank you!

reichman 06-19-2019 02:48 PM

Re: C|24 vs D-Command w/ fader expansion pack

No contest. Advanced automation on the D-Command is much easier to get to. If Preview and Capture are part of your workflow, it's a little fiddly to get to those functions on the C|24. Also, I don't think C|24 has VCA spill. D-Command is an overall better surface. Compact, very professional, dedicated spill zones and EQ and Dyn knobs. C|24 is too big.

But before you buy anything, check out S3/Dock. Yes, it's only 16 channels, but I think it's a better design overall. I'm really happy with mine and wouldn't trade it for a 24-fader D-Command.

Led 06-19-2019 07:44 PM

I vote D-Command, even just a main 8 fader unit, as Nathaniel said, all the dedicated centre section for eq and dynamics, vca spill and custom fader sets make workflow so much faster. Also works with latest PT2019, don't think the C24 does?
I've seen some crazy deals going on ebay for Blue D commands recently, all in the US though, no good for me at the bottom of the earth, but great choice if you don't want to spend the cash for an s3 dock combo.
Sometimes when we are alone I put my hand on the armrest of mine and whisper "I love you".

reichman 06-20-2019 08:10 AM

Led:

Ha! I love it. Actually C|24 does work with the latest Pro Tools, it's Control|24 that doesn't.

And I'll make a counter-argument here. D-Command's faders are quieter than S3, D-Command is overall a little more rugged than S3, and D-Command never crashes. Eucon has been very stable for me recently, but once in a while you get a quirk. The old D-Commands just go and go...

Brandonx1 06-27-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reichman (Post 2530137)

But before you buy anything, check out S3/Dock. Yes, it's only 16 channels, but I think it's a better design overall. I'm really happy with mine and wouldn't trade it for a 24-fader D-Command.

100%

Rich Breen 06-28-2019 10:46 AM

Well, I loves my C24 (perfect size/profile/functionality for me), but no question a D-Command is a more full-featured surface.

I think we're all assuming you know both those surfaces are discontinued and will shortly be unsupported? If I were buying a new surface now (which I will be shortly), I'd be buying an S3 and a dock - all the new control surface features going forward will only be supported on that and an S6 - the S6 is great to work on, but not financially feasible for most one-person shops. OTOH, if you'd like to buy my C24, lemme know!

hope that helps

Gemylon 08-01-2019 04:31 PM

Love my C|24.

Just sayin'

:D