Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Pro Tools 11 Recording Timing (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=341242)

Scott Senchak 07-03-2013 05:14 PM

Pro Tools 11 Recording Timing

hello,

I have a FireFace UFX. When I hit record in protools everything sound great. There is no latency noticeable while I'm recording. Then when I'd play back what I just recorded everything sounded late. So I thought to test things I would throw a mic next to my monitors and record the click track. Sure enough after recording it there was about a 117600 sample delay.

Does anybody know why this is happening? I don't hear that delay while recording but after recording the wave file seems to have a delay.

Thanks for the help.

Scott Senchak 07-03-2013 05:19 PM

Re: Protools 11 Recording Timing

Also, there are no plugins running on any channel. The track isn't going through any bus either.

Southsidemusic 07-03-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Senchak (Post 2058429)
Also, there are no plugins running on any channel. The track isn't going through any bus either.

We need more info and nobody will be able to help without details

Read the http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

Best Regards
Chris

Scott Senchak 07-03-2013 06:43 PM

Oops, sorry about that:

Windows 8 Pro 64
Intel Core i7 3930K CPU @ 3.20 Ghz
12 GB installed memory

FireFace UFX through USB

Protools 11

What I did was solo the click track through my Mackie HR824 monitors and record a "test track" through a M Audio Sputnik into a Goldenage Pre 73 and into my FireFace to record the click track. I muted the "test track" to avoid feedback. In Protools 10 the recorded "test track" showed up pretty much inline with the grid in protools 10.

Then, in protools 11 I repeated the same test. In Protools 11, the "test track" showed a significant delay after recording. It was about 411600 samples.

Then I went back to PT 10 and it was less of a delay than Protools 11, but now there was a longer delay than the first try.

Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks

Since

Scott Senchak 07-03-2013 07:21 PM

Then, lastly I am an Ohm studio user. I opened up Ohm and tried the same exercise there and there was very little delay after recording. I don't know how to measure the samples there, but when playing that recorded track with the click track there was no audible delay... unlike the protools exercise where there was a big delay. Hopefully that explains the problem. I'm thinking it is a pro tools issue and not a FireFace UFX issue because Ohm studio didn't have the problem.

Thanks,
Scott

Southsidemusic 07-03-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Senchak (Post 2058471)
Then, lastly I am an Ohm studio user. I opened up Ohm and tried the same exercise there and there was very little delay after recording. I don't know how to measure the samples there, but when playing that recorded track with the click track there was no audible delay... unlike the protools exercise where there was a big delay. Hopefully that explains the problem. I'm thinking it is a pro tools issue and not a FireFace UFX issue because Ohm studio didn't have the problem.

Thanks,
Scott

Are you using delay compensation on any of the tracks when you record?

Are you recording via/thru the Totalmix software or just thru the interface into PT?

Firewire or USB2?

Scott Senchak 07-04-2013 12:15 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I am going in through USB2
I am using total mix
I do have delay compensation turned on, however the samples are 0 because their aren't any plugins on any of the tracks. When there were plugs on some tracks the issue was still there.

I didn't have this issue in PT9 however which I was using prior to this week.

alexmac010 07-05-2013 07:01 AM

I'm having the same issue.

Tracks will monitor/record in time but on playback the recorded files are late.

If I turn delay compensation OFF then the recorded audio is where it should be.

This happens with and without delay inducing plugins.

Any ideas?

Pro Tools 11.0 Vanilla
Macbook Pro Retina
16GB RAM
OS 10.8.4
RME UCX

bcwiz 07-05-2013 07:18 AM

The PT manual says Delay Comp off when tracking...

alexmac010 07-05-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwiz (Post 2059101)
The PT manual says Delay Comp off when tracking...

Really?

Page 422: "Generally, you will want to record with Delay Compensation enabled to maintain phase coherent time alignment between tracks with different DSP delays. However, you will generally want to avoid using inserts on recording tracks or tracks used for controlling the levels of cue mixes.

Either way it still makes no sense that it's printing the audio late. This surely is not normal behaviour?