Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Can no longer live with all the bugs and crashes!! reverting back to 8.0.4 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=288950)

crizdee 12-03-2010 11:34 AM

Can no longer live with all the bugs and crashes!! reverting back to 8.0.4

Hi,

Seems my only option now is to uninstall 9 and revert right back to 8.0.4 which was the last version i remember working without constant crashes.

I'm having constant control 24 personality and Waves plugins crashes!
TL Rehab is crashing regularly!
VocAlign is broken!
Serato Rane series gate is crashing PT!
And now import session data crashes!! the workaround is very slow and is just not workable for me, i need to import tracks into my mix template and get working fast.

I have done literally hours of fresh installing and troubleshooting and the problems remain. This is the worst period i have ever had on Pro Tools:(

Chris

Update! i've actually reverted back to 8.0.4cs2

brianjanthony 12-03-2010 12:07 PM

Re: Can no longer live with all the bugs and crashes!! reverting back to 8.0.3

Chris,
sorry to hear about this. you've helped me and others a million times here on the DUC.

I just went thru a 6 month or so period where I was in the same boat. In the few weeks I've been running 9, I can honestly say its the most stable my rig has been in years... even with all my plugins and 10 years worth of pro tools files being opened.

8 was an absolute disaster for me. Why? I don't know. No version worked for me. And that was after fresh installs of everything under the sun, proper upgrades, no xtra plugins etc. I started on 8 in late summer, and gave out more comp time in 3 months than I did in the previous 7 years.

I have some thoughts on where my probs might've been, maybe it'll help you, maybe not.

When I installed 9 and Mac 10.6, I bought new Caviar Black drives. They were cheap enough and I know they get decent reviews speed wise. They've been rock solid. When I did the 8 disaster, I bought and used new Hitachi Deskstar 2TB models. Did they cause all my data corruption? doubt it. But looking back, every band project I tracked on the Hitachis (and it coincides with my using of 8) has had data corruption.

Another thing, and I know Digi and I have went round and round on this.... My edit heavy Elastic Audio stuff from 7.4 does not play nice AT ALL with 8 OR 9. Some projects have hundreds of EA edits (don't ask... don't wanna talk about it). The ones like that from 7.4 usually blew 8 up. How do I solve it. I keep EA 7.4 plugin on my desktop. When I open up those problem sessions, I use that EA plug instead of the current one. Totally solved 99% of the issues. Annoying, but effective (just remember to revert to the latest version of the plugin when you're out of legacyville).

Waves stuff seems to be biting people on some systems with 9. Not for me yet on HD or LE. I have Platinum and the CLA stuff. No complaints but you're prob using different Waves plugs.

Did my probs diminish because of the new drives? new installs of everything yet again? not sure. But I know what it feels like to be in your boat. A month ago, I was tempted to lock the door, go fishing and say the h&ll with it all. But I got it together and its more fun going to work again. Drop me a line if you have specific system buginess that maybe I can help with.

Hope it gets sorted out for you.

crizdee 12-03-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianjanthony (Post 1715214)
C

I just went thru a 6 month or so period where I was in the same boat. In the few weeks I've been running 9, I can honestly say its the most stable my rig has been in years... even with all my plugins and 10 years worth of pro tools files being opened.

Hi brian,

Thanks for post! and funny that you had 6 months of problems? as i have checked through all my details and everything was sweet up till 8.0.4 which was installed in June! the problems started about 8.1 from what i can tell.

You only have to view my threads from the past 2-3 months and its all access violation errors and control 24 personality crashes!! I invested in 9 hoping that this bug would be somehow fixed but no such luck, i even renewed my WUP so i could get waves support to look into this and so far all they say is they can't reproduce the problem.

I fitted a new Black cavalier in February when i went to Snow leopard and have tried many uninstalls and re-install and nothing would stop the problems i'm having since 8.1 about August/October time. back to 8.0.4 and the same drive and so far none of the issues i was having in 8.1 and 9 are showing up.

Coupled with all the new issues that came with pt9 I just can't work like that!

I am now back on 8.0.4cs2 and everything is noticeably more responsive and quicker when it comes to the control 24 and plugin control. In PT9 when in plugin control the meters would not work for several seconds when playback started! now in 8.0.4 they are instant again! also in 9 when switching to plugin view the mapping would be slow to display and sometimes the plugin mapping wouldn't even show up on the scribble strips! again no such problem back on 8.0.4

Hopefully i can get back to work and not have to worry about the next quit.

I still have a boot drive with 9 on and will hopefully be able to use it one day! I know most people are having a great time on 9 but i can only guess they don't rely on import session data, use VocAligh/Serato gateTL Rehab or have a control 24 and use it to control certain Waves plugs:confused:

Early days back on 8.0.4 but so far it seems back to normal

Chris

formfunction 12-03-2010 06:17 PM

Man, if Crizdee is havin problems enough to hold fast... That is not a good sign.

edadema 12-03-2010 09:27 PM

You seem to have a lot of influence on the DUC

Has this ever been brought to your attention? I posted this in my crash thread too

Why doesn't Pro Tools Have a plug in verifier like Logic.
When you install a new Plug in and when you launch Logic it will test the Plugin and either Pass Or Fail it. If it Fails then we don't use it and the Company that made it will not be able play the blame game

Not a new concept. Then We know for sure no guessing! Why doesn't Pro Tools have that?????

crizdee 12-04-2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by formfunction (Post 1715393)
Man, if Crizdee is havin problems enough to hold fast... That is not a good sign.

Hi,

I DON'T really recommend holding fast as my situation seems a bit unique to my setup:(

I ideally need to find someone with the same setup as mine? control 24/ Waves mercury or studio classics/ Magma PE6R4/ PT 8.1 or 9 (maybe not the chassis? but it could be that! and i can't test without) Even if someone did have the same setup has me, maybe they don't use it to control plugins!!!!

My main issue is the control 24!! 99% of the crash log are the control 24 personality. If you don't use a control 24 and can live with the few quirky problems in 9? (import session data crashes. no vocAlign yet!, occasional TL Rehab crashes etc) then Pro Tools 9 is working well in all other respects.

I did hours of testing last week without the control 24 connected and none of the problems i've been having occurred. so i know where my main problem is, but even though i have repeatable crash scenarios and a hard drive full of crash logs there's nothing more i can do.

Until either Avid or Waves recognize and confirm the issue i can do nothing but revert back to setup that works

I do heavily rely on the control surface to control the plugins and thats the main reason i bought it and it spends most of its time in plugin control mode.

Chris

yuvalsound 12-04-2010 01:33 AM

Re: Can no longer live with all the bugs and crashes!! reverting back to 8.0.4

Hi Chris,
Sorry to read about your problems.
I'm working with PT 9 and Control24 and Waves 7 complete...
Everything works fine for me...
Have you tried the new version of waves? 7 r16 ?
Came out a few days ago... might help...
Thanks,
Yuval

maxon 12-04-2010 03:43 AM

latest version Waves L316 still ADC issues. numbers in red.

crizdee 12-04-2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuvalsound (Post 1715490)
Hi Chris,
Sorry to read about your problems.
I'm working with PT 9 and Control24 and Waves 7 complete...
Everything works fine for me...
Have you tried the new version of waves? 7 r16 ?
Came out a few days ago... might help...
Thanks,
Yuval

Hi Yuval,

Thanks for posting! could you possibly try this below! make sure the DSP cache is off (DSP cache is located on the system usage window a small pulldown arrow on the right of one of the cards, make sure there is no tick next to DSP Cache)

open a new session, create one stereo audio track, insert waves pie compressor, then replace with CLA-2A, then replace with H-Comp, then replace with Pie compressor etc, continue for a while. on my system it crashes after 4-5 instantiations! totally repeatable.

like this and see if the same happens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQSrI3qEzHY

(I tested this with only Waves plugins and the Didi included plugs in the folder and trashed prefs before testing!!)

Also could you try putting the Control 24 into plugin view! open a plugin and press (F10) Now start playback and see if the control 24 meters respond instantly or if there's some delay/lag before they start to meter correctly?

Chris

Keybeeetsss 12-04-2010 08:32 AM

Wow Chris; Very sorry to hear that; I certainly noticed, since 8.1, that u were posting quite a bit as far as problems were concerned! I think in a few of them, I posted 1st, just in surprise that u were getting all those issues...

I must say the 1st week or so of PT9 was theeee worst I had ever had with any version of PT9 myself, as I have usually always had good experiences on both rigs with all versions...

After som troubleshooting & finally getting legacy to stick on my FW port (LE rig obviously) I finally feel like normal, not being nervous to hit save or open a plug etc...

On our HD rig, we bought a new 8 core Mac Pro right before the new release & went fresh with everything so, other than issues with UAD2, its been pretty stable... No import or any other plug issues & since we hav UAD on that rig, no Waves...

I know this is no help, & seemingly, you've solved ur issues by goin back to what u kno works, which is what I was about to do myself until I finally got legacy to stick...