Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   It's 2017 and there's STILL no Plugin Manager in PT (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=387793)

ilovemyssl 01-05-2017 07:52 PM

It's 2017 and there's STILL no Plugin Manager in PT

There's so many basic things that are still missing from Pro Tools... things that people have literally been requesting for 10+ years!

Not having some sort of plugin manager within ProTools to tell it which plugins to load (or not load) has got to be one of the FUNDAMENTALS of building a rock solid working environment, yet we STILL don't have one.

Having to manually move plugins to an "UNUSED" folder?? What decade are we in?? :eek:

Dear Avid... maybe you could stop faffing around with whatever ideas YOU think are cool and actually implement the things that your paying customers actually want!

ShiftStudios 01-05-2017 09:54 PM

Re: It's 2017 and there's STILL no Plugin Manager in PT

I'd +1 this suggestion. Didn't think about it as I've done most of this manually, plus with all the UAD stuff it's a moot point...

del cosmos 01-05-2017 10:35 PM

It's 2017 and there's STILL no Plugin Manager in PT

Maybe one day...

In the mean time enjoy your loops :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilovemyssl 01-05-2017 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by del cosmos (Post 2405304)
Maybe one day...

In the mean time enjoy your loops :P

Ha ha exactly!!

moshuajusic 01-05-2017 10:59 PM

What does "load" a plugin mean? Why would any DAW load a plugin that's not currently being used? I assumed plugins are loaded as you insert them. Even a "plugin manager" sounds superfluous. :confused:

john1192 01-06-2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemyssl (Post 2405264)
There's so many basic things that are still missing from Pro Tools... things that people have literally been requesting for 10+ years!

Not having some sort of plugin manager within ProTools to tell it which plugins to load (or not load) has got to be one of the FUNDAMENTALS of building a rock solid working environment, yet we STILL don't have one.

Having to manually move plugins to an "UNUSED" folder?? What decade are we in?? :eek:

Dear Avid... maybe you could stop faffing around with whatever ideas YOU think are cool and actually implement the things that your paying customers actually want!

sorry if i am stupid, but what does this mean "some sort of plugin manager within ProTools to tell it which plugins to load (or not load)"

load or not load is the question (no pun) .. why would you be Not Loading some plugins ?? normally we all load up all the plugins we have at once and then pick and choose from within PT ..

what issues or Workflow needs (a better way to say this) do you see or need ??

again, i am just not understanding why you would not just load up ALL your plugins at startup of PT ..

cheers john

Drew Mazurek 01-06-2017 07:09 AM

The OP wants to be able to launch PT with "plugin sets" loaded for various purposes.

Imagine having a "composing set" loaded when you're writing so that when you go the plugin menu, only your VIs (and whatever else you want) are shown. And when you're mixing, your "mixing set" doesn't have any VIs, but all your favorite processing plugs. I get it.

Doesn't make sense for how I work, but I see the appeal.

tundra 01-06-2017 07:49 AM

you know what would be better?

saveable effects chains/channel strips..

you know, like every other daw has been able to do for like 10 years now.

and i know you can hack it.. but thats not the same.

Drew Mazurek 01-06-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tundra (Post 2405367)
you know what would be better?

two different and desirable things to different people.

And the hack isn't even close to the real feature, it fact the "hack" is really a different thing entirely.

ilovemyssl 01-06-2017 08:35 AM

One of the biggest causes of instability with Pro Tools is 3rd party plugins.

The fact that there is no practical way to tell Pro Tools not to load a plugin to see if that is causing issues.