Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Avid S1 & S4 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405672)

MixerGuy 07-18-2019 08:20 PM

Re: Avid S1 & S4

S1 is $1,200. Avid said so somewhere.

what I want to know is on the S1... are there (one handed) automation mode switching buttons? to go to touch / latch / trim / etc. (?)

reichman 07-18-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixerGuy (Post 2533150)
S1 is $1,200. Avid said so somewhere.

what I want to know is on the S1... are there (one handed) automation mode switching buttons? to go to touch / latch / trim / etc. (?)

If you set the EuCon pref for the REC switch to change automation modes, you can individually cycle modes on each fader by hitting REC.

I don't see dedicated mode switches like on the Dock or master section of the bigger boards, but EuCon is highly programmable. There's a way...

Jamie Mac 07-18-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurfyou (Post 2533148)
Thanks. Not that Alps faders are a bad thing but of all places to cut costs...

I guess I'm not the only one that expected something between S3 and S6, not a reworked cheaper S6.

S1 is a winner if it's not too expensive. But going by the S3 price they'll have it at $3k.

The s6 faders are indeed amazing, and for me the major reason to want to buy one. But now Avid have made that impossible by shifting the premium faders to the m40 only.

Compared to the s6, the alps faders feel like plastic toys.

The S1 will have the same faders as the 20x more expensive S4.
Making the S1 the real winner of the day.

diamondschwin 07-19-2019 07:33 AM

I got some hands on time with these in Nashville.

S1 does not have automation buttons and the “dock” portion that holds an iPad is permanent. So it’s depth is quite a bit deeper than an Artist which is unfortunate.

S4 looks great, biggest issue I see with it is the faders are about the same quality as an S3. To achieve the same quality feel as a d command or d control you still need to move to an S6, which is a shame since I see the S4 as the D Command replacement.

The new version of the Avid ios control app was alpha software so very buggy but it looked cool. Apparently the meter mode works because it detects you have the appropriate control surface, so that functionality is not backwards compatible with the artist series.

Frank Kruse 07-19-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondschwin (Post 2533168)

S1 does not have automation buttons and the “dock” portion that holds an iPad is permanent. So it’s depth is quite a bit deeper than an Artist which is unfortunate.

Thanks for the info. From the picture it does seem it's more or less exactly an Artist mix in terms of hardware elements with better faders, better rotaries and slimmer foot print. Do you know if Artists and S1 can combined? Like a Control and an S1 or a Mix and an S1? I also hope they give the PSU a longer cable so it can be placed off the desk. The Artists ones all have this high pitch buzz and you can't put them further away as the cable is very short.

F.

Emcha_audio 07-19-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Mac (Post 2533152)
The s6 faders are indeed amazing, and for me the major reason to want to buy one. But now Avid have made that impossible by shifting the premium faders to the m40 only.

Compared to the s6, the alps faders feel like plastic toys.

The S1 will have the same faders as the 20x more expensive S4.
Making the S1 the real winner of the day.

According to this, only the s4 has alps faders, both the m10 and the m40 still have the TKD faders

MixerGuy 07-19-2019 02:38 PM

Thanks Max - great info.

Kind of bummed that there are not automation mode buttons.... UG. I'm switching in and out of different modes all the time

I guess i could mouse right hand, and fader left hand..... :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondschwin (Post 2533168)

S4 looks great, biggest issue I see with it is the faders are about the same quality as an S3. To achieve the same quality feel as a d command or d control you still need to move to an S6, which is a shame since I see the S4 as the D Command replacement.

The new version of the Avid ios control app was alpha software so very buggy but it looked cool. Apparently the meter mode works because it detects you have the appropriate control surface, so that functionality is not backwards compatible with the artist series.

BScout 07-19-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixerGuy (Post 2533210)
Thanks Max - great info.

Kind of bummed that there are not automation mode buttons.... UG. I'm switching in and out of different modes all the time

Shift + Rec button next to fader flips through automation modes.

Mishabou 07-19-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2533095)
Prices of the S4 was higher than I guessed ...

https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/new-...e-controllers/

Why would someone buy the S4 ? Less buttons, cheaper faders (rep told me they are S3 faders) for the same price as the S6M10.

BScout 07-19-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mishabou (Post 2533217)
Why would someone buy the S4 ? Less buttons, cheaper faders (rep told me they are S3 faders) for the same price as the S6M10.

The M10 is no more