Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Intermittent XP system sounds with Mbox (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=109022)

Bassman3141 06-21-2004 08:41 AM

Intermittent XP system sounds with Mbox

I can't get system sounds to reliably play thru my Mbox. 3rd party apps (WMP, Winamp) play audio CDs, but with frequent dropouts.

I installed the WaveDriver (6.1.1). I selected the Mbox as my default playback device in Ctrl Panel. I also used the DigiMME Helper to assign the WaveDriver to certain apps. No change.

Do I need to remove/disable my other sound card? Any other ideas?

underbiteman 06-21-2004 11:11 AM

Re: Intermittent XP system sounds with Mbox

see these posts
does mbox wavedriver suck for you too?
Winamp ASIO Driver for media playback with digi HW

Bassman3141 06-22-2004 08:47 AM

Works like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

Bassman3141 06-22-2004 10:25 AM

I spoke too soon. I still have skips in audio - both MP3s and system audio.

I followed your post and did the following:
1) installed Winamp5
2) downloaded the ASIO DLL and copied it to Winamp5 plugin directory
3) removed and reinstalled Wavedriver (including vestigial DALWDM.SYS files)

The Mbox now appears as a sound card in Ctrl Panel and 3rd party apps. I successfully routed the above audio sources thru my Mbox. But they still dropout intermittently. When played thru my PCs sound card, there are no dropouts.

Questions:
1) The Wavedriver allows me to redirect audio bound for my sound card to the Mbox. I dunno what the ASIO driver does. Do I need BOTH of them?

2) One post said "obviously you need to be running PT6.1 + asio for it to work." I assume this is not literally. I mean, PT doesn't need to be running just to get a system sound, right. Sounds lame, but I'm at my wit's end.

Any other ideas?

underbiteman 06-22-2004 11:30 AM

Did you go to preferences on winamp and set the output as asio driver or wave out driver?

Bassman3141 06-22-2004 01:03 PM

If I direct Winamp5's output to the ASIO plugin, audio comes out of my soundcard.
If I set the output to the waveOut plugin, it works as long as I configure the plugin's output device to be the Mbox. However, the resultant audio has dropouts in it.

The more I think about it, it seems like the ASIO DLL (ver 0.45 SSE2) has no effect. And the ASIO readme file is unreadable.

Does that make any sense?

underbiteman 06-22-2004 07:48 PM

when you choose asio out, press configure and pick digidesign's asio. That worked for me.

Bassman3141 06-29-2004 03:49 PM

I got it to work. Due to another nightmare, I had to reinstall XP. Now, I follow this procedure and it works great.

It's more proof of my theory - when in doubt, reinstall Windows.