Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Unable to Record (digitize) a Regular Midi Track to an Audio Track (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=334908)

JuicyMusic 02-21-2013 10:22 PM

Unable to Record (digitize) a Regular Midi Track to an Audio Track

PT9.0.6 w/ MBox
MacBookPro OSX
Casio WK3000 midi keyboard (non usb)
Playback Engine is "MBox"

I have a PT session with 10 midi tracks. Midi records and plays back with no problems.

I recorded each midi track directly from my Casio WK3000 midi keyboard.

Important Note!!!!!! - None of these midi tracks were created using the available instruments within Pro Tools.

I have created an audio track right below each midi track because I want to digitize each midi track, one-by-one.

I was able to do this in my PT6.4 LE w/ Mbox with no problems for 6 years over and over again.

I believe that my problem stems from my I/O settings. I have read and read and watched numerous videos and I still can't figure this out. Please help!

QUESTION
How should my I/O settings (input, output,bus) tabs look like in order for the Audio track to record (digitize) the midi track?

I want to do this so that evenutally I'm just working with audio tracks.

Please be so specific for me regarding I/O, so i can understand.

Thanks so much

albee1952 02-22-2013 09:51 AM

Re: Unable to Record(digitize) a Regular Midi Track to an Audio Track

First, let me see if I have the scenario correct. 10 midi tracks, each doing a different sound, all sounds coming from the Casio? Assuming this is correct:
start by connecting the stereo output of the Casio to your interface. add your 10 stereo audio tracks. Put 1 audio track in record-ready and solo 1 midi track. Go into record. The keyboard SHOULD play the part that corresponds to the solo'd midi track. Repeat for each midi track, recording its "voice" to a new audio track.

OR-if you are happy with the mix of all coming out of the Casio, just record 1 stereo audio track, and let all 10 midi tracks "play" the Casio(while you record the audio).

JuicyMusic 02-22-2013 06:32 PM

Re: Unable to Record(digitize) a Regular Midi Track to an Audio Track

Thank you for responding. I've been using Pro Tools for years but this upgrade to PT9 makes me feel like a newbie:cool:

My Casio WK3000 keyboard is midi only and it is connected to my Mbox via 2 midi cables. I am able to record anything I play on my keyboard into a midi track in PT - with no problems.

I am also able to playback the midi I've recorded into PT and hear it coming out of the keyboard (which is what I want). So, no problem there. I can hear all the different sounds I've chosen play back.

For example, I want to record the midi track I've named "Lead Piano". I will create an audio track right below it, then solo the midi track called "Lead Piano" so that only that midi track is recorded.

Then I record-enable the audio track after I chosen the input (Analog 1), and the output (1#288....)..........then start recording.

I do get a audio region - but it is only a flat line. The audio file isn't receiving anything.

Is there something I need to correct in the Audio setup? My choices there are as follows:

1) Built-in Input
2) Built-in Output
3) MBox
4) IO aggregate

Please let me know if I need to adjust anything there.

Another question is: Should I adjust the "sound" preference in my MAC.
Just so you know, I highlighted the MBox choice that was available there. If I make any other choice - I hear a high pitched sound when I record-enable an audio track and I have to stop that track from recording real quick.

Thanks so much,
Juicy

JuicyMusic 02-23-2013 06:25 PM

Re: Unable to Record (digitize) a Regular Midi Track to an Audio Track

I am still reading my PT manuals and reference guides.......and watching PT videos for help on YouTube and other places with no luck so far.

Please help.

Thanks
Juicy,

jasonthurley 02-26-2013 03:35 PM

It seems like you have selected a wrong input...

Before I ask you to try this I want to know what are you using as the Playback Engine? AND what are you plugging into? The MBox?

If your keyboard is sending into your MBox then go up to Option>Playback Engine... In the top drop down menu select MBox... It will refresh your session and the Input (Input 1) will now be the MBox input 1. Then you should be able to record and playback the audio through your MBox...

JuicyMusic 02-26-2013 07:29 PM

The choice for my Playback Engine is "Mbox" and my Casio Keyboard is connected to the MBox via midi cables.

Thanks
Juicy,

Darryl Ramm 02-26-2013 08:17 PM

And how exactly do you have the line level input on the Mbox connected to the line-level output of the keyboard?

I just looked up this keyboard and the specs say it has a 1/4" stereo line-out/headphone connection. So you need a 1/4" TRS to 2 x 1/4" TS "Y" splitter cable. Otherwise know as an 1/4" "insert cable" (e.g. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IPBQ2Q10/) to go between the keyboard line-out and two of the mono line-in inputs on the Mbox (assuming you are recording in stereo). then on the audio tracks in Pro Tools you need to select the appropriate input(s) you have the cables connected to. If you don't want to record stereo then there should be a way to set the keyboard to be mono only and then just use one of the outputs of the insert cable (usually the left)

Darryl

JuicyMusic 02-26-2013 10:09 PM

My Casio WK3000 keyboard is connected to the MBox via midi cables only. This was my setup when I was using PT 6.4 LE, and it worked brilliantly - without a TRS connection.

Once I'm done recording all my midi tracks into PT I digitize each of them on to a mono audio track. 1 audio track below each midi track.

I was able to digitize a midi track about 2 weeks ago. I was so excited that I saved my session and went out to celebrate. I came back after a few hours to continue and it never worked again.

Could it be a setting in the Audio Setup Window in PT? Should I turn up the gain or input levels on the MBox?

Thanks

Darryl Ramm 02-26-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuicyMusic (Post 2011192)
My Casio WK3000 keyboard is connected to the MBox via midi cables only. This was my setup when I was using PT 6.4 LE, and it worked brilliantly - without a TRS connection.

Once I'm done recording all my midi tracks into PT I digitize each of them on to a mono audio track. 1 audio track below each midi track.

I was able to digitize a midi track about 2 weeks ago. I was so excited that I saved my session and went out to celebrate. I came back after a few hours to continue and it never worked again.

Could it be a setting in the Audio Setup Window in PT? Should I turn up the gain or input levels on the MBox?

Thanks

What are you talking about? You can't turn up input gain to fix things if you have no physical connection between what you are tryign to record and what is making the sound. There is just *no* magic way you create an audio track and get the behavior you seem to be expecting.

You keep using the strange expression "digitize the MIDI track" what exactly do you mean? Record the analog sound from the keyboard or what? MIDI cables never carry sound (or digital audio like S/PDIF, just digital MIDI signals, and they are not "audio"). So how does the keyboard sound get to the audio track?

There are only two ways of getting sound on the audio track and I've described both of them before. I suspect you were running a VI on an instrument track and never realized it or forgot, maybe you started with somebody else's template or session. Start by looking at the YouTube video I linked to, follow along with exactly what the instructor is doing, and read the relevant parts in the Pro Tools user guide.

Darryl

jasonthurley 02-27-2013 08:52 AM

Exactly... you need to have audio output of the keyboard connected to the MBox audio input(s). Midi is just code... there is NO audio carried over Midi cables, period.

I have no clue how you "digitized" your Midi to an audio track without have
A. A virtual instrument to make audio from the midi data
B. An audio output from your keyboard connected to the MBox