Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What to look out for when buying a D-Command (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405323)

ToneSetter 06-21-2019 09:41 PM

What to look out for when buying a D-Command
 
I'm going to be buying a blue D-Command once I can find a good price on ebay or reverb. What type of things should I look out for? Like ways to tell if things are wrong or something. Like ways to tell if faders, power supplies, etc are going bad or are bad. Not really sure what to ask, I just don't want to get ripped off. $2000 to $3000 isn't really spare change to me. Thanks for the help :-)

BScout 06-21-2019 10:20 PM

Re: What to look out for when buying a D-Command
 
Put it in Vegas mode to check faders, knobs, lcds, leds. And then carefully scan every part while they are in motion/blinking.

As for power supplies, at the age they all are, they will need to be replaced. If they’ve been replaced in the last 5 years, you’ll be good for a while. If they haven’t, expect to. Not an expensive replacement. The fader and led power supplies are the ones that need replacing as maintenance. The control power supply rarely needs replacing (found only in the main unit.) (Main unit has 3 power supplies, add on fader packs have 2 power supplies. So a 24 fader d-command has 5 power supplies total)

YYR123 06-21-2019 10:53 PM

Re: What to look out for when buying a D-Command
 
Yep I agree with Scout

And you will wonder how you ever lived without it once you get it

Great surface

ProtoolsLover 06-25-2019 02:31 PM

Re: What to look out for when buying a D-Command
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToneSetter (Post 2530398)
I'm going to be buying a blue D-Command once I can find a good price on ebay or reverb. What type of things should I look out for? Like ways to tell if things are wrong or something. Like ways to tell if faders, power supplies, etc are going bad or are bad. Not really sure what to ask, I just don't want to get ripped off. $2000 to $3000 isn't really spare change to me. Thanks for the help :-)

Make sure it comes with an xMON. Any 9 pin serial cable will work by removing one of the pins from both sides, I'm pretty sure it was the 6 pin, but that's easily found out online.

I have a 24 channel board, that I paid less than 2k for over 3 years ago, and it's still mint today.

Good luck!!!!

ToneSetter 06-25-2019 06:50 PM

Re: What to look out for when buying a D-Command
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover (Post 2530797)
Make sure it comes with an xMON. Any 9 pin serial cable will work by removing one of the pins from both sides, I'm pretty sure it was the 6 pin, but that's easily found out online.

I have a 24 channel board, that I paid less than 2k for over 3 years ago, and it's still mint today.

Good luck!!!!

Wish I could find a 24 channel for 2k. I can't even seem to find a main unit for under 2k that's in good condition without problems :(

ProtoolsLover 06-25-2019 08:13 PM

Re: What to look out for when buying a D-Command
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToneSetter (Post 2530833)
Wish I could find a 24 channel for 2k. I can't even seem to find a main unit for under 2k that's in good condition without problems :(

My situation was a complete fluke!

Led 06-26-2019 12:12 AM

Re: What to look out for when buying a D-Command
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToneSetter (Post 2530833)
Wish I could find a 24 channel for 2k. I can't even seem to find a main unit for under 2k that's in good condition without problems :(

There was a blue 24 channel that went for not much more a few weeks ago on ebay, it was pick up only located in Brooklyn. From a studio liquidation. Last I saw they still had a blue 8 fader main unit going for about $1300...Save a search on ebay as "D Command" and you'll find something at some point. There is/was a 16 fader D Control on there for somewhere around 3K recently as well, but they hurt your arms to reach all the controls.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:43 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com