Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Icon Video Tutorials? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=196151)

chord 04-27-2007 01:05 PM

Icon Video Tutorials?

Is anyone aware of any video tutorials for the D-Command? I've already taken a training course, but that was a while ago and I'd like something that I can watch from time to time to keep the techniques that I don't use often in my work-flow fresh in my head.

ARTHANOR Productions 04-28-2007 01:48 PM

Re: Icon Video Tutorials?

AMEN !!!

tstemland 04-29-2007 11:25 PM

A very good idea indeed!

Best regards
Tord Stemland

GlennR01 04-30-2007 05:21 PM

I'd be happy to video tape Gil Gowering at my studio Come on, Gil, let's roll our own.

Tord, do you know Morten Abel? I think he lives in Stavanger...

tstemland 05-01-2007 04:37 AM

GlennR01,

As far as I am aware Morten Abel lives both in Stavanger and Oslo. He has made some great songs and is very popular in Norway. I have never had the pleasure of working with him but my business partner has. As far as I understand Abel actually has his own HD-rig in Stavanger.

Anyway, if you make an ICON tutorial I will buy it!!!

Best regards
Tord Stemland

cajonezzz 09-27-2007 03:50 PM

I'd like to suggest that we do our own, starting with the most basic functions... assigining busses/inserts, custom fader uses and set up, and try to limit them to a couple minutes, and just post to Youtube, create some kinda useres group that constantly grows, ala the Kenny Gioa tips and tricks thread.

i know digi is working on something ( they said last year) but I think they also want to push their VERY expensive dedicated Icon training course.

the quality dosent have to be that great... just good content.

Anyone in?

cz

GlennR01 09-28-2007 05:21 AM

Gil? You talk, I'll tape. Free steak

Drew Mazurek 09-28-2007 05:29 AM

Quote:

I'd like to suggest that we do our own, starting with the most basic functions... assigining busses/inserts, custom fader uses and set up, and try to limit them to a couple minutes, and just post to Youtube, create some kinda useres group that constantly grows, ala the Kenny Gioa tips and tricks thread.

i know digi is working on something ( they said last year) but I think they also want to push their VERY expensive dedicated Icon training course.

the quality dosent have to be that great... just good content.

Anyone in?

cz

Once I know the thing I'll be glad to contribute, until then you guys would be teaching me!!! I'd love to see stuff like this.

theflyest1 10-01-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Once I know the thing I'll be glad to contribute, until then you guys would be teaching me!!! I'd love to see stuff like this.

I'm in the same boat...just got my D-Command a few days ago, and tryin' to learn this beast! Tony Sheppard is working on a Mixing ITB video tutorial and I believe he'll be using an ICON. I wonder if Digi will come out with some "Accelerated Videos" for the ICON, or even something more in depth. There is a definite need for this...

Lohit

Drew Mazurek 10-04-2007 04:03 AM

Come on guys!!! I am specifically interested in advanced automation workflows on the D Command.

Chris Lambrechts 10-04-2007 10:15 AM

I've been cooking up some ideas to do some vids ...

And eventually I think I will. The thing is this with those vids ... they're pretty hard to do ... think about it ... zooming into the buttons and then making it readable and clear enough so everybody knows exactly where and what you push or move.

Try thinking up a scenario for uhm ... say .... the use of capture / preview ... punch capture & preview for example.

Sure ... the scenario and examples are easy ... but then ... image you have your little home mini DV camera and then what ? ... angles / light / readability of the soft keys etc etc ...

But it can be done ...

Chris

Mikey MTC 10-04-2007 08:46 PM

Exactly right Chris.
I've thought of a few things too but the actual "making it happen" part is easier to think about than actually do. You could use two cameras and then do a little Final Cut work afterwards, or maybe one camera and a screen capture tool so you can follow along on the GUI ... but then it might be more Pro Tools and less ICON.

We should have a little vote on the sorts of things people want to see. For example, Chris mentions Preview and Capture modes which are WONDERFUL on the ICON, but of course can still be used without one.

Personally I'm more interested in workflow examples. "Here's my goal and here's how I achieve it." Of course there's often many ways to do the same thing, which is why I want to see how others are doing stuff differently from myself (and of course the opposite is true if my way is faster/better).

Drew Mazurek 10-05-2007 05:49 AM

it doesn't have to be pretty and we all have the hardware in front of us. I think one camera panning back and forth along with the user's voice would be enough. I'm slowly getting up to speed and might try to make one later.

cajonezzz 10-08-2007 12:52 AM

Hey Guys,

spoke to Gil today re: training videos. he's very aware that they are a year over due to have something out, and I think has all intentions of doing animated "how to's" of features. He was doubtful that this would be done this year. They would do an in depth function by function and user tip series that would indexed and accessed from within the PT app. ( would install if so chosen with PT)

So, in lieu of this-- let's start rolling our own! I'll try and do a test run this week, and I think it won't be any problem to get a digi guy or two to come down to our shop and run down a couple tips as well.

cz

Drew Mazurek 12-17-2007 09:13 AM

Has anybody has the time to try and make one yet? Just curious.