Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pro Tools 8 quantizing issues (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=294023)

sirtunez 02-06-2011 12:43 PM

Pro Tools 8 quantizing issues

Hi all, I hope this is in the right place,

I currently use pro tools 8 on a macbook pro with 4 gigs of ram running off osx 10.6.8 (im doing this off the top of my head so forgive me if thats the wrong series number for the os), and an mbox2 mini.

I have had a problem with pro tools for the longest time (since 7.2) as far as the quantize function.

when i make a simple drum pattern (4/4 signature with snares on the 2's and 4's) for a total of four bars i run into the same problem everytime. lets just say i do a simple hip hop pattern of "kick, snare, kick kick, snare" for a total of four bars.

When i Quantize the region on 1/16 notes the oddest thing happens.
The first 3 bars will play no problem at all, but the fourth bar always pushes multiple notes in the area of the second snare (resulting in "kick,snare, kick-kljfaklsnhjklg;jnmvkanare")
to make sure it wasn't just a matter of me not being able to drum in time enough for it to quantize, i flat out drew a perfect pattern for four bars on with my mouse. it played fine (didn't need quantization cause it was already drawn on point). then i quantize on 1/16 and guess what? same problem:mad:.

all the settings are on default. theres no swing option or humanize function chossen i have no idea what this is. has anyone else come up against this? i don't wanna have to macquyver around this by just playing for two bars as i loose the feel of the beat just playing 2 bars (doesn't feel natural).

Any insight on this would be helpful

albee1952 02-06-2011 11:38 PM

Re: Pro Tools 8 quantizing issues

One solution would be to simply select GRID mode and drag the hits to the grid(set GRID value to 8th or 16th notes and they will snap to the grid when you drag them). Maybe your GRiD value is what's messing with placement?

sirtunez 02-07-2011 09:32 PM

I used to think so to but i started recording in grid mode still to no avail.

sirtunez 05-14-2011 02:23 PM

Never got this problem fixed and was thinking about upgrading to 9 but not if this hasn't been fixed.
Don't really know what is wrong with it. im going to put a video up tonight so it is clear that i am telling the truth. I am not claiming to be infalable. This could very well be user error but i would like to know. I find it hard that i can be the only person out of the hundreds of thousands of PT users to have this problem.

Top Jimmy 05-14-2011 02:39 PM

Having a more detailed description of your workflow may help. Perhaps some screen grabs or even a screen vid would help us see how it is you're doing things.

sirtunez 05-14-2011 11:51 PM

its a pretty simple set up. just a macbook pro, mbox 2 and a midi board (most recently the mpk61 :-))
I hook the midi via usb straight from the board to the macbook.
the problem isn't just with the board. not only have a tried all 3 of my boards but also just drawing out the notes in perfect placement then trying to quantize (the already in correct order) notes only to have it go berserk at now random points.

I agree screen grabs or something will help. i am still trying to find my camera to just make a quick vid.