Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   ProTools Quit Grayed out, can only force Quit (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=403535)

real_eyes 02-25-2019 09:40 AM

ProTools Quit Grayed out, can only force Quit

Found an old thread on this from a few years and versions ago, but no solutions really. Now happening to me starting recently, but not all the time. No sessions and no other programs open at the time. Command Q, I get the Apple "funk" alert. In the menu, Quit is grayed out. As is the "About ProTools", and "Preferences". I can only force quit.
I FEEL like this started when I updated the App Manager to Avid Link 19.1...I guess I'd be dumb to assume they wouldn't be related.
Any ideas?

Ultimate 2018.10
OS 10.12.6

mandal 02-25-2019 12:21 PM

Re: ProTools Quit Grayed out, can only force Quit

Why quit? :p

audiobob 02-25-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by real_eyes (Post 2517656)
Found an old thread on this from a few years and versions ago, but no solutions really. Now happening to me starting recently, but not all the time. No sessions and no other programs open at the time. Command Q, I get the Apple "funk" alert. In the menu, Quit is grayed out. As is the "About ProTools", and "Preferences". I can only force quit.
I FEEL like this started when I updated the App Manager to Avid Link 19.1...I guess I'd be dumb to assume they wouldn't be related.
Any ideas?

Ultimate 2018.10
OS 10.12.6

Do you have multiple desktops? I remember that happening when PT had an open/save dialog box open on another desktop not on screen. Had to find it then deal with the open/save dialog.

Eric Lambert 02-25-2019 01:51 PM

I came across this just last week. Odd. I force-quit and moved on but would like to know what happened. I only have a single desktop so that wasn't the culprit.

real_eyes 02-25-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiobob (Post 2517685)
Do you have multiple desktops? I remember that happening when PT had an open/save dialog box open on another desktop not on screen. Had to find it then deal with the open/save dialog.

Thought this was the case as my 3rd monitor isn't always on, but I've checked multiple times and it's not the problem.

Cowboy Bob 02-26-2019 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lambert (Post 2517701)
I came across this just last week. Odd. I force-quit and moved on but would like to know what happened. I only have a single desktop so that wasn't the culprit.

I've had it happen a couple times as well. Same thing, force quite, moved on. No ill effects. Single desktop as well.

It would be interesting to know why though. No other crashes or issues (other than the loose nut on the keyboard).

64GTOBOY 02-26-2019 06:29 AM

From other threads i gather that this can sometimes be caused by a plugin doing something in the background even though nothing is playing. I would venture to guess it's always some background process that is stuck that causes it but not necessarily the same thing every time it happens. AFA the change from AM to AL i had to reset my preferences when i updated so that AL wouldn't start up automatically, so i guess that could have an effect.