Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Select Button and screen visualization (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=284743)

mik 10-25-2010 01:15 AM

Select Button and screen visualization

Hi,

There is one thing that i don't arrive to deal with in an icon configuration.
When i have a big session, it would be very nice when i hit "select" on a track, to have that track on the screen, at the top for exemple, and even have the possibility to choose the size of the track with the select on.
I tried to find any preference on this but never found it.
Is there something i miss ?

thanks

Drew Mazurek 10-26-2010 04:49 AM

Re: Select Button and screen visualization

Many of us have asked just such features. They would be great!! I think the ICON has been neglected in the development process for a while now and I expect to see Avid turn back to it soon, I hope!!

teacherman 10-28-2010 07:01 PM

Yes. +100000 on this! Please!

Chris Lambrechts 10-29-2010 12:16 AM

How about you hold down Ctrl and then select a track on the controller ?

Does that do what you want ? At least as far as bringing the track into view in the edit window goes.

Chris

Drew Mazurek 10-29-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Lambrechts (Post 1687738)
How about you hold down Ctrl and then select a track on the controller ?

Does that do what you want ? At least as far as bringing the track into view in the edit window goes.

Chris

Shame you need the modifier. And it would be great to have the App talk to the desk in this same way.

Thanks Chris.

Ryan Young 10-29-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmazurek (Post 1687899)
Shame you need the modifier. And it would be great to have the App talk to the desk in this same way.

Thanks Chris.

Did not know about the ctl select feature. That's great. On the "Soft Keys" section of the D-Command there are "track size" up/down buttons. This affects the selected tracks.

Brent_Sydney 11-03-2010 03:02 PM

Personally this type of implementation would drive me crazy in some situations. I find myself mixing faders against what I'm looking at on screen.
Such as riding a music or atmos stem in between dialogue.

I often use custom fader groups with the pref (show hidden) switched on so I can mix stuff on the console against what Im seeing on screen. If I need to bring the EQ and dyn into the centre section for those faders on my dcommand I wouldnt want them trying to change what Im looking at in the edit window.
It would have to unhide first (!) and it would be quite distracting - in THAT situation. In others it would be helpful.

I love the ctrl modifier (scroll into view) for that reason, as well as using the zoom toggle with "follows selection" pref enabled.

mik 11-06-2010 04:52 PM

Thanks Chris for that.
I'm going to try it on monday...

I would prefer without the modifier also but i'm sure it would be very helpfull.
I'm working also a lot with custom faders, and generally when i hit the select button, i want to see the track i'm going to work with on the screen.
By the way, i'm working with 2 screens, one for the edit, and the other for the plug-ins so i don't have to hide or unhide anything.

Another thing : is there a quick way on the icon to switch to volume automation on screen and go back to normal ?

thanks again

Stig Eliassen 11-06-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Another thing : is there a quick way on the icon to switch to volume automation on screen and go back to normal ?
  • Ctrl-Command-and touch the fader for volume automation
  • Ctrl-Command-select for waveform view

mik 11-07-2010 01:41 AM

thanks !