Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Uggg...rebuilding my system from scratch (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405585)

JCBigler 07-10-2019 06:34 PM

Uggg...rebuilding my system from scratch

Yesterday I remortmatted my system and reinstalled Windows.

I’ve been having issues with Windows not updating and tried every troubleshooting method I could find and nothing would get it past a reboot loop, so I blew out the partition and reformatted and reinstalled from scratch with the latest Windows 10 1903 iso image.

But here I am, trying to download the updated installers for all of my software. I’m downloading on three separate computers with three separate internet connections: our satellite internet, my cell phone hot spot, and my Verizon hotspot. Average download speed is about 100kb/s. The fastest one is my cell phone hotspot which varies between 150 and 250 kbps.

Between Protools, the Avid plug-ins, Waves Mercury, the Slate Bundle, and all my other plugins, and other audio software, I’ll be lucky to be back up and running by the end of the weekend. It’s a good thing I don’t haven’t any projects on the stove right now.

This is the reason that Cloud Collaboration will never work for me. Those of us who live out in the sticks are 20 years behind the rest of the country when it comes to internet access.

But it sure would be nice if the software packages that Avid posts weren’t multi-GB bloatware monstrosities.

:(

Muddy-T 07-10-2019 08:09 PM

Re: Uggg...rebuilding my system from scratch

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2532436)
Average download speed is about 100kb/s. The fastest one is my cell phone hotspot which varies between 150 and 250 kbps.

Those of us who live out in the sticks are 20 years behind the rest of the country when it comes to internet access.

:(

Holy cr4p! So; Oklahoma, not okay..?

Here, in Down Town Clown Town, Hollowland EU, I pay 60 €uro bucks monthly for the 2nd cheapest bundle of digital TV, radio, landline telephony and internet via cable.

I get stable download speeds up to 250Mbps. I just downloaded and reinstalled all my (30+) -updated- PA plugins in less than thirty seconds.

I feel for you.

T

JCBigler 07-10-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muddy-T (Post 2532443)
Holy cr4p! So; Oklahoma, not okay..?

Here, in Down Town Clown Town, Hollowland EU, I pay 60 €uro bucks monthly for the 2nd cheapest bundle of digital TV, radio, landline telephony and internet via cable.

I get stable download speeds up to 250Mbps. I just downloaded and reinstalled all my (30+) -updated- PA plugins in less than thirty seconds.

I feel for you.

T

We’re at the very end of the phone line system. Miles away from the nearest fiber link. No cable TV system out here. Unfortunately no company will invest in the infrastructure to get a high bandwidth connection to us when we’re the only ones out this far. I’m probably 4 miles from the cell tower. 1, some times 2 bars of 4G cell service. Things will pick up after midnight when the data cap for the satellite connection gets removed.

YYR123 07-10-2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2532436)
This is the reason that Cloud Collaboration will never work for me. Those of us who live out in the sticks are 20 years behind the rest of the country when it comes to internet access.

Same here brother, country life. I usually go to town if I need a bunch of something downloaded

I always keep backups of installers and every time I do what you did, I truly see which plugs are my favorites

And some never get installed again

When time and life permits I will have my studio here in the same sticks (not that far out, but far enough not to have home internet) and that will be the selling point

“Get away and focus on the music”

JCBigler 07-10-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2532447)
Same here brother, country life. I usually go to town if I need a bunch of something downloaded

I always keep backups of installers and every time I do what you did, I truly see which plugs are my favorites

And some never get installed again

When time and life permits I will have my studio here in the same sticks (not that far out, but far enough not to have home internet) and that will be the selling point

“Get away and focus on the music”

Yep, I’ll definitely be slimming down some of my unused plugins, mostly the free ones that aren’t as stable. But I do use stuff from Mercury and Slate and Avid bundles, plus Metric Halo, iZotope (Exponential). All big downloads. Plus I have a bunch of other software I have to get to get fully set up.

I usually keep downloaded files also, but I needed to update a bunch of stuff so I had to download them all fresh. The town that I love outside of (Chouteau) doesn’t have any such thing as free internet in a cafe or coffee shop. I’d have to drive an hour to Tulsa to get there, and then it’s just not that great of service. I used to download stuff at work, but since I left the City I don’t have access to their super fast internet any more.

DonaldM 07-11-2019 05:26 AM

Good luck, man! Hope you get it all up and running in good form! Upgrade to Win 10 they said. It'll make life easier, they said! :p

YYR123 07-11-2019 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCBigler (Post 2532448)
I’d have to drive an hour to Tulsa to get there.

Living on Tulsa Time !!!

Cowboy Bob 07-11-2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2532447)

Living at the corner of 14th and Plumb, (14 miles out, plumb in the middle of nowhere) I do the same thing.

It is a whole lot less pain thata way.

Of course now they are building millennial castles in the corn fields around me, so it won’t be long before we have cable and MCHSI.

JCBigler 07-11-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2532472)
Living on Tulsa Time !!!

I went to college at the University of Tulsa. We had a whole marching band show designed around Living on Tulsa Time and Take Me Back to Tulsa. So glad I have never had to play those songs since.

YYR123 07-11-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob (Post 2532493)
Living at the corner of 14th and Plumb, (14 miles out, plumb in the middle of nowhere) I do the same thing..

Hahah nice