Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Windows (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Windows 10 system restore deleted my ptx files! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405829)

Led 08-03-2019 01:04 AM

Windows 10 system restore deleted my ptx files!

I was having issues with my SSL converters today and tried a bunch of stuff and it all got so messy I thought I'd just do a system restore to get around it. My last restore point was about 2 weeks old, I restored to it, and afterwards, every ptx file for any session I'd done after that restore point was gone. For me that's about 20 sessions. All the rest of the folders for each session were still the same, just the session file - gone!
I cried a little, then undid the restore and they were back, but thought I'd post here just so others know to be cautious. It's not supposed to touch your data files, but it appears it doesn't like ptx extension files.

StillHollow 08-03-2019 03:50 AM

Re: Windows 10 system restore deleted my ptx files!

Thanks for letting us know. And yet more justification for daily and automatic backups of our sessions sessions to external drives.

Really glad you got your stuff back Led.

The Weed 08-03-2019 08:58 AM

I never trust System Restore. It's actually turned off permanently. I image my OS and Session drives nightly with Macrium Reflect. There are other imaging/clone programs, I just like MR.

TOM@METRO 08-03-2019 11:17 AM

I use "Acronis True Image", never system restore.

mjslakeridge 08-04-2019 06:41 AM

I have System Restore turned off, even on my everyday, non-ProTools computers. I also use Acronis True Image.

albee1952 08-07-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led (Post 2534471)
I was having issues with my SSL converters today and tried a bunch of stuff and it all got so messy I thought I'd just do a system restore to get around it. My last restore point was about 2 weeks old, I restored to it, and afterwards, every ptx file for any session I'd done after that restore point was gone. For me that's about 20 sessions. All the rest of the folders for each session were still the same, just the session file - gone!
I cried a little, then undid the restore and they were back, but thought I'd post here just so others know to be cautious. It's not supposed to touch your data files, but it appears it doesn't like ptx extension files.

What drive were your ptx files on? If they are on drive C: then that's probably not a surprise(and they should be on a separate recording drive). If they already were, then I am as confused as you:eek: On the subject of backups, I am also pretty OCD on that. I used Acronis for years(several versions) but recently gave up on it because it will not clone correctly. Now I am using Backupper for cloning and imaging. Macrium Reflect is another option from drive imaging/cloning on Windows:o

sw rec 08-07-2019 08:36 PM

Another vote for a separate, dedicated recording drive. Yes, recording to the system drive might work, but do you really want to take that chance, when a 1tb drive can be had for under 100 bucks? What’s all your hard work worth when it disappears?

Led 08-08-2019 12:25 AM

Yeah both good points, I normally use a different drive for my sessions, but it had some issues and I got lazy while waiting for a new M.2 to arrive to take it's place. I was using the program SSD then backing up after each day. I'd been so flat out I had gotten sloppy with backups for a couple of weeks, which ironically is precisely when you need to stay on top of it the most.
New drive is in and all is back to normal, I am now the only weak link in the chain..

ChuckS 08-08-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led (Post 2534471)
It's not supposed to touch your data files, but it appears it doesn't like ptx extension files.

Just a quick question for the OP - Where was the folder located for your sessions that the PTX files went missing - root, User, Documents, OneDrive? I used System Restore before and didn't have this issue with sessions stored in folders in the Documents folder. It was a while ago - some things may have changed.

Led 08-08-2019 02:52 PM

In the documents folder...